Carbide insert identification

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

The ones in the first link seem to be a mixed bunch, I have seen such tool sets advertised on eBay and personally I wouldn't buy them as you need different inserts for each tool and this can get expensive. the ones in the second photos are TCMT type inserts but without having the tool to measure the insert it not possible to tell which size. My 1/4" shank ones use the 09 series, one size up is the 11 and then 16 series I think, these nos refer to the measurement of the side of the inserts in millimeters. An 09 02 04 insert gives you the dimension of the side, the size of the torx screw and the tip radius in that order, then you have to decipher the carbide grade and the coating that comes later in the specification and is manufacturer specific.
Hope this helped.

regards,

A.G

Regards,

A.G

Thanks lots Kvom and Lensman. Just about need a university degree to sort it all out but with your help i can at least make a start :)

Be aware Herbie there are two standards for inserts. Not sure how interchangeable they are but the numbers sometimes don't make sense unless you know whether it's ISO - Europe and most other countries or ANSI used in the US. You probably need to look at an ISO insert chart.

Vic.

Just found this for you

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/5302/insertnomenclature.pdf

Latest posts

Back