cant remove chuck

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zig 2007

Reaction score
i recently bought an old lathe and have been trying to remove the three jaw chuch it came with but cant. the 4 jaw that came with it has a thread so in assuming the spindle has a thread. can some one suggest how to get it off

A threaded chuck that has been on a spindle for a long time can be a bugger
to remove.

First check the back hub of the chuck to see if and where any set screws might be.
I had an old lathe with a 4 jaw mounted on it. It was seized tight.
I sprayed the spindle down with penetrating oil PB Blaster to be exact.
Allowed it to soak for a day, then after loosening the locking set screws, I chucked up a short
piece of 1/2" hex stock TIGHT in it. A 1/2" impact socket on the impact gun released in on the
first pull of the trigger.

Rick

Take a 2 foot long piece of 2 inch bar and lay it across the face of the chuck, tighten the jaws down on the bar and then give it a few good whacks and it should loosen right up. This was the standard method on some old LeBlonds I used to run.

Robert Bastow (RIP) was a guy who really, really knew his stuff......when this comes up i post a link to his method...and its followed by a success post :D

Warm the register with a hot air gun. Douse liberally with Kroil, the best penetrating oil made.

While the chuck marinates, make yourself a banjo wrench.

banjo1.jpg

banjo2.jpg

Apply banjo to chuck. Rinse. Repeat.

kf2qd said:
Take a 2 foot long piece of 2 inch bar and lay it across the face of the chuck, tighten the jaws down on the bar and then give it a few good whacks and it should loosen right up. This was the standard method on some old LeBlonds I used to run.

Sounds like a good solution to take a few teeth out of the bull gear if you lock the spindle up. :eek: :-\

See if you can take the chuck off of the backplate. You might have to turn the back plate off and get a new one.

Bernd

Don't know about yours but my 40 year old Denford Viceroy has some holes on the gear end of the main shaft for a half-moon shaped lug spanner to hold it tight whils the chuck is turned with a steel bar in the jaws. Spanner was missing but a suitable replacement soon welded up. Works every time for me.

Other thing I was told to do is to make a washer from paper or thin card to fit on the shaft before the chuck. Oil or grease it well before putting the chuck on. It stops some of the friction when removing the chuck. It seems to be these two faces gripping each other that makes removal hard. The chuck naturally tightens on in use so tightening cannot be avoided but can be reduced. Copper grease in the threads helps aswell.

Julian

Latest posts

Back