Can you shorten a scale on a DRO kit.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bogstandard said:
RC & Macona,

Many thanks for the info, it has given me a little more confidence to have a go at it when the time comes.

I gather there was no problem with a bit of dust or fingerprints.

Bogs

Dust and fingerprints are an issue. Anilam recommends to clean the scale with windex and lint free wipes if I remember correctly.

I Hudmut not seen you about for a while, used your photos when I did my DRO

And what about your little secret, have you got rid of the Fowler?

Jason

Hi Jason

Iv been around i don't like to post to much as my typing lets me down to much. The Fowler is still coming along I'm on the valve at the moment. But as we speak its all sat in a few box's in the spare room but don't worry it will get done i doute ill ever use it much if at all probably end up in a box up in the room like all my other engines.

Iv just spent the last year on my CNC mill as well as helping a friend with his full size B6 (foremost). That's why i have my littel secret its a stand in until i have a full size to drive once more . I don't think a true friend should sell his engine until his new one is ready for the road do you ;D

Oh and I'm glad my DRO pic's was of some use

Stu

Ok guys, if you are interested this is the response I got from DROPROS when I asked them about a special kit for the X3. I mentioned that I was considering a Grizzly DRO. So far I agree with there customer service comment, they have been great getting back to me.

From DROPROS.

First, thanks for taking the time to write. Our DRO's are ES-15's, which are 2 generations beyond what Grizzly sells (they sell the ES-8). Additionally, we have a much better inventory and we would like to think better customer service.

Yes, we know the X3 quite well. The "issue" behind the confusion of which scales to get is twofold. First, the X3 has a design flaw which "should" be fixed prior to mounting a DRO. Second, just measuring travel doesn't always guarantee a good fit. In any case, here are the scales you need:

X axis - 350
Y axis - 150
Z axis - 450

These are regular GS-10's, not SlimLine. You don't need / want SlimLine, they have 1 set of seals, not 2 protecting them like regular scales.

Let me explain the X3 issues:

1st issue: What happens is if you crank the table to the extreme left, the table will actually come off of the dove tail and will continue until the underside of the handwheel mechanism hits the base of the machine. This is not good for the machine, and you really need to affix a stop on the right rear of the table to limit the overtravel. You can see one of our customers has done this on our installation page:

http://www.dropros.com/Digital_Readout_DRO_Installation.htm

http://web5.streamhoster.com/hvp/DROPROS/AncellXStop.jpg[img] (sorry I cannot get he image to post, RC)

Note the block on the left 'hanging' down. It's meant to keep the table from coming off the dove tail. Of course, if you measure travel without it, you'll think you need a longer scale, which would lead to the confusion you mentioned in your email.

2nd issue: We recommend the 450 scale for the Z axis. The travel is much less than this scale will travel. But due to how it mounts, it's better to go with the 450.

We used to have an X3 kit, but we don't anymore. I'm attaching pictures of what it looked like. All brackets were made / modified from the 3 axis kit brackets.

If I were you, I would study the pics I send you, plus the two X3 install pics we have on our website. Between the 3 sets of pics, I'll bet you could do an install even better than any of us came up with!

Latest posts

Back