Can this be repaired?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a suggestion Bush with a steel bush and keyway then locktite the bush in place then drill on the circumference line of the bush 3 holes at 120 degrees and locktite in 3 pins in these holes will never shift. cheers john

clean the plastic very well to remove all grease
rough up the interior of the shaft hole in the gear very well with 60 or 40 grit paper
place the gear flat on waxed paper and fill the whole with well mixed JB weld NOT JB Quick
allow to cure at room temp for 48 hours
then re machine the bore and keyway
be sure the keyway is at a new location in the gear body

I know I am busting your bubble.
J B is a machine shop joy. They see you come in door know JB was let down again.
Know there cost of remove the JB. Then cost of doing the job right. Do not forget the frustration cost too. Just more dollars and a grand day for machine shop.

Most or maybe all epoxy will creep and give a big let down.
They used epoxy in underground tunnel where they use for ceiling it cost someone life.

Dave

clean the plastic very well to remove all grease
rough up the interior of the shaft hole in the gear very well with 60 or 40 grit paper
place the gear flat on waxed paper and fill the whole with well mixed JB weld NOT JB Quick
allow to cure at room temp for 48 hours
then re machine the bore and keyway
be sure the keyway is at a new location in the gear body

If this gear is still a good fit on its shaft, I would consider cutting the keyway deeper into the gear and making a new key to fit.

I was thinking the same thing. Or you could deepen the existing keyway and make a custom key. I would also consider putting a metal ring around the outside of the shoulder to keep the hub from splitting at the keyway(s)

lg
no neat sig line

Three options,
move the keyway, I think this not going to be too good as boss will be weakened and will fail
machine out the inside and replace with a bush, if you make a step on the bush and corresponding one in the bore you get good location, hold together with screws and glue.
make a new pair either two spurs with one out of Tufnol and one steel, will run quietly.
make a pair of helicals, difficult to do at home, if you wish I can make them for you
buy a pair of helical, expensive.
if I can help, mail me but I am in the Uk but we do have post and costs worldwide are not expensive.

Latest posts

Back