Cam lift

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barnbikes

Reaction score
Have been looking at this engine lately. Cam looks like it should have a narrower lift on it. What is your opinion?

Modern studies on heat-sinks for electronic applications found that a staggered pins array was a bit better than parallel fins because it favored turbulence in the convection air currents. Looking at those cylinders it appear some old timer had figured that out long ago.

Looks like to much ramp to me. Valve will begin to open to soon and close to slow?

What do you know about that engine? Who made it? I have seen a one-cylinder vertical engine with fins like that in similar rusty and non-running condition. Some early manufacturer who couldn't sell enough, or concept died because it looked different than the rest?

--ShopShoe

No idea who made this one. Knox cars used a single cylinder horizontal engine.

Do you have a picture of the vertical engine?

About 20 years ago I saw a horizontal hit and miss engine (about a 5-7 hp) that was pin cooled. Never took a picture of it though.

I am collecting parts to build a 1/2 size engine.

Its hard to see where the rocker arm pivots as that will affect how much the valve end of the arm moves relative to the cam end.

Also as the the head of the rocker is less than the gap between the two valve heads you will need a certain amount of arm movement before the actual valve starts to open.

J

Barnbikes,

Sorry, I don't have a picture of that engine. It was in a flea market at an antique engine show and I was looking for something else and not interested in something like that at the time. I did look long enough to see if there was a maker's name but no such luck.

--ShopShoe

Latest posts

Back