Caloric Engine Photos

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IronHorse

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score

Well here are some pictures and video of my latest engine.

mill030.jpg

I got the idea from a picture I saw in "Home Mechanics For Amateurs" and thought it would be a neat engine to build.

PageFromBook.jpg

There where only a couple of cut-away drawings, but no dimensions so I had to wing it. I modified the way the power cylinder is connected to make it easier to seal the one piece hot/cold cylinder.

mill031.jpg

ronson002.jpg

I built the displacer cylinder from some 1.5" copper pipe, and after much searching found that a 42g can of Ronson Butane makes a good displacer piston.

HINT: Remove contents before using ;D

I just cut the top off to the right length and made a press-fit cap for it. Altough the copper pipe was easy to work with, It really was not a good idea.There is no insulation between the cold and hot sides so after 5 Minuit's of run time the thing is so stinking hot you could fry eggs on it :big: But at that point it is still running strong (550 RPM) and I shut it off for worry it will melt down!

These Hot-Air engines have got me hooked and I am already starting my next one: The Moriya engine.

Here is some video of it running

not only a very good looking engine but it also has a very cool sound to it.................engine of the month ???????

chuck

Beautiful Engine!

Very Well Done.

Rick

Very nice!! :bow: Looks to be a great runner, and it has a great sound as Chuck has stated!

Great engine :)
I collect old toy steam engines and your's very close to a Weeden Caloric engine ca'1900-20
Sorry not a better photo
IMG_0963.jpg

IronHorse said:
Well here are some pictures and video of my latest engine.

Iron Horse, that's a great looking and running engine. Did you make the flywheels from scratch or did you make them from castings?

Chuck

Lovely Job :bow: :bow:

Regards
Bob

Thanks everyone for your positive comments. It was a fun project.

cfellows: The flywheels where turned from some flat plate and the spokes are cut out with a small saw. I polished the rims and masked them before giving them a little sandblast.

I did not have my rotary table when I made them, but will have to try milling out the spokes on the next one.

bigal2749: Your Weeden hot-air engine is great! I have never seen one of those before. I also collect old steam toys, and I have one model 238 vertical steam engine.

Thanks

Very nice engine. Nice runner and looks great!

Chuck

IronHorse said:
The flywheels where turned from some flat plate and the spokes are cut out with a small saw. I polished the rims and masked them before giving them a little sandblast.

That is some seriously good work with simple tools 8) any chance you could do a little write up (with any pictures available) as I suspect there are lots of folk, both in here and on the sidelines, who would really enjoy seeing these flywheels made how you've described. I've got to say I have a small Mill and even so producing that quality of work is still a little daunting, to do it with hand tools is , imho, bloody impressive 8) .......... very well done. :bow:

CC

Latest posts

Back