Cabin Fever 2013 - who's going

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Tin,
Unfortunately the timing is such that I'm unlikely to be in PA at that time of the year.
Art

sorry it does not work for you . I spoke on the phone with Gary the show promoter a few weeks ago. he is expecting a great show. more vendor space sold than ever . outside activities planed. new stuff planned for the kids and young families. He is expecting a a great show. He does realize it is close to the names show. This was a decision he felt like he had to make.
Tin

I just wonder how many people are going to just one of the shows this year because of the dates being too close together? I have a feeling the NAMES show is going to suffer this year because of this. Gary could have bought weather insurance to cover any loss due to a snow storm! Thats just an excuse, hes a for profit show and wants all he can get. Just my opinion.

4 days to go not that I'm counting. :p

Dave

I went to NAMES 2 years ago and Cabin Fever last year. CF is, in my opinion, a larger show in a better location, and better weather is a plus.

I know Gary has no interest in hurting NAMES- why would he? He has a show to run, and he does the best job he can. He would gain nothing by the end of NAMES.

NAMES seems to be able to hurt themselves just fine. I got a mail message last week where they say Friday will be only a setup day, and in bold letters it says 'there will be no vender (sic) sales on Friday'. If they seriously plan to stop sales on Friday I will raise hell. What are we supposed to do, setup, then sit around and twiddle our thumbs? What possible reason is there to not allow vendors to sell once they are set up?

They also set a note that we will not be allowed to unload before we register. In the past we always unloaded, parked the car, then went to register when the line was short. Now we will have to park, come in and register, then go back and move the car around to the loading door, then back to park again. Why are they doing that?

As to size, NAMES advertises their 30k sq ft. Cabin Fever is 125K sq ft. Last I heard NAMES was up to 37 vendors, CF is over 215.

If NAMES dies it will be suicide by their committee, not murder by Gary.

I am getting excited about going to cabin fever for the first time, I will be
coming from Memphis TN stopping in Wytheville Va the first night them
coming up I-81 to York the next day. I have booked a room at the Best Western it seems to look ok and I think some others are staying there.
its going to be a long drive but I think it will be worth it, I plan to spend
one day at Gettysburg before I come back. My only regret is that I can't go
to NAMES this year after 6 consecutive years just cant do both the
choice was hard to make.
see you all at Cabin Fever.

For me Cabin Fever is the easier choice. I've been to both and frankly Cabin Fever seems to be the better experience. With the show later in the year but still at a fairgrounds I'm expecting a far more interesting event this year. One of the reasons I go to the show is for the auctions where I seem to do 50/50 as far as good deals and why in the hell did I buy that. However I will be more conflicted this year as they will have two or more auctions running at the same time. Buying a Tesla coil may interfere with bidding on a machine tool or other shop goodies.

Oh buy the way Gettysburg can easily eat up a whole day. You may find yourself driving back in the dark.

am coming from Memphis TN with a stop in Wytheville Va
I plan on getting off of I-81 probably at charlottesville va and taking
the scenic route I think highway 29 and 15 can someone familiar with this
route let me know if it is a good road, traffic conditions and speed limits
I have enough time just want to see some of virginia, if there is a better
scenic route thats not to slow let me know.

You could get on the Blue ridge parkway Near Hillsville or even Roanoke if you wanted .. it will take you all the way to Front Royal.. Very scenic but speed limit is 45 ..

I just wonder how many people are going to just one of the shows this year because of the dates being too close together? I have a feeling the NAMES show is going to suffer this year because of this. Gary could have bought weather insurance to cover any loss due to a snow storm! Thats just an excuse, hes a for profit show and wants all he can get. Just my opinion.

I'm not sure where this point of view comes from. I was at one of the Cabin Fever weekends that happened to coincide with a significant snow storm. You could see the stress in Gary's eyes; the last thing you need to have happen, when responsible for such a show, is to have nobody show up to buy tickets. As to insurance I have to imagine he is paying a pretty good chunk of change already to cover his insurance responsibilities. Further getting such insurance, at reasonable rates, isn't a piece of cake, especially when statistics are against you.

Beyond that the fair ground location ought to allow him to steadily expand displays and support a wider array of interests.

Back