Cabin Fever "13 After action Report.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tin Falcon

Reaction score
First of all I am home safe .
Wow what a show. I got to put faces to a lot of names. About 20 people signed the offical, unofficial sing in book under the HMEM banner. Thanks to Mrs tin for making the banner. And thank you to Steve and Joan walker for staking the claim for show space.
Another great show indeed. I arrived at 9:00 am on friday as scheduled and set my display on the table . SShire , Dave Reeves and Cheepo45 were there and were setting up also. Friday I spend most of the day in the cnc seminars and managed 3/4 of a lap around the perimeter to see most of the vendors.

I decided I "NEEDED" a new engine on the table so purchased a new premachined 3BIM kit from pm research . Then went to dinner with KVOM and another friend.

Saturday Am finished setting up the display then set to assemble the new engine . A big thanks to the guys for lending tools. The engine was up and running by mid afternoon. . seemed like a decent crowd not as packed as previous years but there were outside displays for the first time. 5:00 pm snuck up on us quickly.

The exhibitor reception was back at the York Museum of Industry once again. a great venue to enjoy food and fellowship with fellow model builders.

Sunday was quiet. some lookers but time to talk with other modelers make last minute purchased and pack up the displays. the day went fast.

Many thanks are in order Gary and his family and crew put on a great show. Thank you to all from this forum who exhibited and attended the show.
A special thank you to Dave from the emerald Isle . Yes he flew in from Ireland to attend Cabin fever so he won the prize for the person traveling the longest distance.

To those who attended that I did not get to meet sorry I missed you, may be next year .
Tin

I attended on Friday and part of Saturday, plus went to visit the Penn. Railroad Museum in Strasburg on Saturday. It nice seeing other HMEM forum members, as well as the multitude of great models on display. Manages to see three surplus items in the consignment room, and also traded some loco parts for others.

I decided to build the magnetic clock that Dave Reeves has mostly finished, and bought the 5 issues of Digital Machinist where the plans are serialized. It seems like a project that can be done in a reasonable amount of time when working on engines gets tiresome. With a CNC mill it's seems to be a build that can be finished quickly with some application. of course, I still need to finish the locomotive and restart the Westbury paddle engine built, among other things.

I was in for the three days. I sat in one of the CNC seminars but could barely hold my eyes open. That sucks.

I come in Friday for the auctions but never got a good chance to bid on what I wanted. Trying to do a seminar kinda interferes with the bidding process!!! Maybe I need to go down into the lab and build a duplicate Dave to sit in on the seminars! Even then with two or three auctioneers going on at the same time you still miss out on something.

Since I'm far newer to model engineering and machining in general I did pick up a few books. One of them WORKSHOP TECHNIQUES by George Thomas I've already started to read. I must say it is a rather hefty book dedicated to more or less one simple tool. I'm already trying to decide if it makes sense for me to build one or go bigger.

I looked around for bargains on tools and equipment but honestly I wasn't getting good vibes. I hate to say this but it looks like more than a few vendors have gotten greedy. We are talking prices that make MSC look inviting.

Hi Tin, good meeting you at the show. (hope I didnt babble on too much) Hopefully next year I will have something to show and will set up with you guys.

Great Show!
I enjoyed meeting everyone at the Cabin Fever show. It was great to connect with old and new friends.
cheepo45

Loved it! Great get together Fri nite at TGI Fridays. Counting the days until next years. Yes, Dave, I started the next engine (Elmer's Pumping Engine) this afternoon.

Had a great time and I was happy to meet some HMEM members. I took some pictures shown here:

http://s250.photobucket.com/user/philjoe5/library/Cabin Fever 2013?sort=3&page=1

I did talk to most of the builders of the models in the photos so If you have any questions ask away.

At some point I'll post a link to the NEMES site where this show is completely documented in a way I could never achieve,

Phil

I did talk to most of the builders of the models in the photos so If you have any questions ask away. Phil

Any details you can pass on about this awesome double v12?

2013-04-15_213712.jpg

While he was not at the HMEM table, I met "steamin" who is building the LaFrance fire engine. It's a really spectacular model.

A model that really impressed me was one of the simplest: a tiny wobbler that was mounted on a tie clip and powered by a rubber squeeze bulb.

Petertha,
The twin V12 is a model of a boat called "Miss America". It had the engines going to a drive box forward with twin screws aft. A lot of us were waiting to see if it was going to run in the pool but if it did I missed it. I did not get to talk to that builder. The details in that model were mind blowing down to the standard floating buoy ignition key holder.

This may be part of the builder's log:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1606891

Phil

Last edited:
Nice job! I like the brick base-it matches the motor well
cheepo45

Looks great on the bricks and it's a time machine as a bonus.
I'm pretty sure that date stamps on digital cameras are the 21st century equivalent of 20th century VCRs always reading 12:00.

Yea probably should have turned off or reset the time date stamp.

btw the grout was a tube of latex caulk that wa in the basement . a little dry from age but worked.

Tin

For those who attend cabin fever you know saterday morning is often packed with people. and Saterday afternoon many of the exhibitors and a few vendors pull out. This is understandable as some have long dives home and have to work others like the Amish folk choose to observe the Sabbath.
As a result Sunday morning can be very quiet. But I will say there are always a few that show up on Sunday morning and experience the cabin fever show for the very first time. At one point late morning/ early pm I was in the lobby heading back from the men's room and heard this young man exclaim" Wow there are so many neat models here!!!"

i walked back to my table to see a young couple wandering aimlessly. The was a total look of awe on the young ladies face. Like a kid who had never seen a candy store. So I Invited them to my table and explained my display they loved what they saw. This is why I go to shows.
Tin

Nice job on the engine Tin. It was good to see you get it up and running at the show.

Cheers,
Phil

BTW Spring steam up is a mere 19 days awaywoohoo1

Back