Bronze wire, where to buy?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmuir

Reaction score
I'm looking for fine bronze wire to make springs for safety valves and trunnion bolts to hold the cylinders on.

I can't just buy ready made springs as the springs I need to make for the trunnion bolts are cone shaped as they are for an old toy steam engine I am restoring.
I'm looking for anything between 24 and 28g in size.
I don't mind having to buy from over seas as I can't source it locally so if you know of any suppliers please let me know.

Thanks
Tony

:) :) ;)

Hi Tony,

If all else fails, with a more local purchase, then Blackgates Engineering in the UK stock 22swg and 24swg Phosphor Bronze wire in 10 metre rolls.

www.blackgates.co.uk

They do mail order.

Hope this helps.

SandyC

Thanks for that and as luck would have it I've been planning to order some (well actually a lot) of 0.5mm wasyflo solder from them as I can't get anything finer than 1.5mm here so will order that wire at the same time.
Any idea of what it costs as they don't have prices on their website?

Hi
With Blackgates call them and I wouldnt worry there about the cheapest model engineering house in the UK. I rate them above most all the others.

Cheers kevin

Hi

I bought mine from Reeves. They have all the guage sizes. They have a web site, check it out.

Cheers

;D ;D

Hi again,

Can't give you the exact current price, however, as Kevin has stated, give them a ring.
Last time I purchased some 24swg it was around 25pence per metre, but that was some 2 years ago and the price of copper, brass and bronze has increased a lot, especially in the last 12 months.

The same goes for the price of silver solder.

Regards.

SandyC

SandyC said:
;D ;D

Hi again,

Can't give you the exact current price, however, as Kevin has stated, give them a ring.
Last time I purchased some 24swg it was around 25pence per metre, but that was some 2 years ago and the price of copper, brass and bronze has increased a lot, especially in the last 12 months.

The same goes for the price of silver solder.

Regards.

SandyC

It can't of gone up too much, just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to get surprised by it being outrageously expensive.
Will place my order with them after Easter as I'm sure by then I will of discovered other items I need too.

Thanks

Just rang up Blackgates and unfortunately they are sold out of Bronze wire and don't plan on getting any more in at the moment. :(

On the plus side I did manage to order a life time supply of 0.5mm Easyflo solder though.
So if anyone knows of another shop that sells 24SWG (or something close to 0.54mm) bronze wire let me know or else I'm going to have to break away from using original materials for my restoration and use stainless steel spring wire.

So he did, thanks.
My wife cause that selective seeing.
I apparently also have a habit of not 'seeing' the dirty dishes or that the washing needs to be put away.

Tony,

I got married to save having to do that sort of thing.

BTW go to our other common site and look at Odilons new boat pictures, page 7, I think you have got a bit mixed up between here and there.

John

Latest posts

Back