British 0-4-0 Toy Locomotive: he said

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you get the video camera mounted on the loco to record the train engineer's view as it goes around the track, well...that'll give it some more momentum too.

I'm lucky, my wife gets excited when I start up my engine. She likes my model steam engines too.

Super job, Mr. Zee.

Very nice Zee!! There is just another level of cool about something that moves under its own power. I have yet to do that. Someday, maybe. For now seeing yours will have to do. Thm:

BTW; My wife is also good about coming to look at my stuff. I have broken her of using the word 'cute' when she comments on anything. :big:

Hey, now I can see it go! You're not far off from having it smoothed out, Zee.
What the other guys said about the axle, dood.

What's for supper? Beer and M&Ms! We're celebratin'!

Dean

Zee--Congratulations are in order!!! You have done well indeed. I'm not a train kind of guy, but I like yours. I know you will get past the annoying "dialing in" part of the build and have a sweet runner soon.---Brian

Carl,

Way to go.

I have really enjoyed following your build.

It sure feels good once you get them running.

SAM

Wow. Thank you everyone!

I'd posted this morning...but apparently failed to see that someone was posting at the same time...so mine didn't take. Anyway...

Yes. I need to lock the drive wheels 180 degrees apart. I hope to get some blue Loctite tomorrow.

Oh...I remember one of the questions I'd had in my missing post...."What's the difference between steam and cylinder oil". I'd bought some cylinder oil a long time ago but forgot I had it. I had used just 'regular' oil.

I could have sworn there was instruction about 180 degrees apart but I don't see them now. Maybe I saw that on the internet. There is, however, one single assembly drawing that shows the pistons 180 degrees. Ah...wait...I took another look...it's not where I expected but there is a paragraph about setting the wheels. I can use a dowel through the wheels to set the 180...then tighten. But I don't trust the nuts to hold...never have for me. I'll get the Loctite.

I am surprised by the number of replies. Thank you all very much for watching and tagging along. Still a bit more to go. Actually, my biggest worry now is, if I can actually steam it, coming up with a suitable video. Don't get your hopes up. It may just be a..."Yipee. Lookie. It runs." But I'll try to make it something more.

Thank you all again.
Wonderful forum.

[Edit: Just had to come back and thank you all again. I really appreciate all the help, teachings, support, ribbing, etc.]

Would I wait for Loctite to play? Of course not.
I managed to tighten up the wheels at 180 degrees and made another run.

Here it is at just under 40 psi (way too much)...on my 'track'!!!

And now at just under 20...getting there...

This is unbelievable for me. I'm sitting here with the engine running behind me. Man I wish I had a better air system...the compressor keeps turning on and scares me half to death. I know I have some leaks too...so I'm sure I can make it btr (there...it went off again)...better.

Wow oh wow oh wow. This is so cool.

zeeprogrammer said:
"What's the difference between steam and cylinder oil". I'd bought some cylinder oil a long time ago but forgot I had it.

None.

IMHO the more correct term in UK/Oz is cylinder oil. The basis of these oils is a type called brightstock, it is highly refined and has a high viscosity so ltr for ltr it's more expensive than the common paraffinic oils which make up the bulk of lubricants base oil production.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards
Bob

Zee,

Looks great. Looks like the endless track you built worked.

DAve

Zee,

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Now you've proof that a locozee can maka zeeloco. ;D ;D

Best Regards
Bob

Thanks Bob and Dave.

Hey Trout...funny how those front wheels aren't turning. I mean, gee, they're sitting on idlers just like the rear wheels. :big:

I took the loco off the stand and set it on the table. It took off! But it takes too much air still. I'm not sure steaming it will work. The safety is supposed to limit it to 15psi (we'll see) and so far it don't go at that pressure. But it's still early!

Zee, congratulations, looking great,the engine really look good on the rollers, great work Zee. larry

Zee; My wife and I have computers next to each other so I turned to her and had her watch your video. Sad to report to you that she said; "Oh how cute". Sorry man. Thought she knew better. :big:

I don't know all the technical terms, but basically normal oil will get washed out of the cylinders easily by the steam while steam oil will stay and lubricate for longer.
Use engine oil on your axels and crank pins and steam oil on the piston and portface.
A little will go a long way.

Wow oh wow! At 40 psi it goes like stink. At 20 psi it looks like it would go around a track nicely, Zee.
I think you're not far off having it pushing itself along at 15 psi. Remember, a day back it was just
ticking over. It's gonna be fine!

For the times while you're running on air, just use regular oil, like 3in1 and the like. For air, it will be fine
putting it right in the air line or cylinder holes, and on the port faces.

When you are going to really steam it, use steam oil (in the engine parts). It stays longer in the cylinder
when steam is in there. Like Tony says, regular oil will get washed out fast.

The steam oil I have is called steam cylinder oil. I don't know if steam oil, and cylinder oil are different
things, or just different names for the same thing. The specific type on mine is 460 steam cylinder oil,
but it doesn't have a brand name. It's kind of thick, like heavy motor oil, but made for steam engines.

Happy for ya, Zee!

Dean

You're certainly not far from it now Carl :)

You might be surprised when you try it on live steam - the engine will behave completely differently, and will actually run better than on compressed air. Don't try your first run on steam over a fancy surface though - expect some sputtering and water and oil drips; especially while the cylinders are still cold ;D

Man, am I happy for you; that first run on steam gives the same feeling as building one's first engine ;D

Looking great Zee,

If you want the front wheels to turn too whilst the locos on the test track put an elastic band between the rear front roller and front rear roller, that should sort it. Make a small grove for it in the middle of each roller if you want to be really flash.

Happy steaming,
Nick

Zee

Come on; you are at that 99.9% stage in your project. Get it oiled up and run in on air. Then just get that fire lit, you'll be surprised at the difference smoother, quieter and a whole lot nicer with the steam........................

Steam/cylinder oil is the right advice but even 3 in 1 will do. I've been using mountain bike 'wet' lube on my small engines, it may not be the stuff the professionals use but believe me it sticks well enough for engines this size for short runs. We know you've got track so then let's just see it go!!!!!

Hold on, just had a thought; have we seen anything on the safety valve before you fire it up?

Pete

Thanks guys.

Hey BV...was she talking about the loco...or that cute guy next to it?

Thanks tmuir and Dean about the explanation on cylinder oil. I'll be sure to use it. The oil.

See Trout, Nick knew why I had the front wheels on rollers. :big:

Pete...the safety valve has been made but I haven't seated the BB in it yet nor tested it.

The idea is this, mount the safety valve on one bushing of the boiler. Mount the mountain tire pump on the other. Pump up to 15psi (if the valve holds). Adjust the screw in the safety valve that holds the spring that holds the BB until air releases at 15psi.

Looks like you are ready to give it a go with steam.
Now go for it!!

Latest posts

Back