British 0-4-0 Toy Locomotive: he said

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If its not too late may I suggest you set the wheels at 90deg rather than 180. 90 will make it self starting, 180 will give smoother power, but it can stop with one cylinder at TDC and the other at BDC.
Regards,
Gerald.

Gerald,
Your advice is good for a radio controled steam engine with reverse, but this loco is the steam equalivent of a clock work loco. Just wind it up and let it go and in this case it might need a tiny shove if it is at dead center, but then like the clock work it just runs untill it is out of energy.

Zee nice job, for the steam test note where the safety valve vents...having your face near it can be a bit startling. Ask me how I know. 8)

Dan

zeeprogrammer said:
See Trout, Nick knew why I had the front wheels on rollers. :big:

Oh sure....easy for Nick to say because he's not the one who will be taking off the Locktited nuts and disassembling the drive train to get that rubber band on there.

I would like to see that rubber band scenario however, Zee. Could you do that tonight and take some videos? *beer*

Zeep, I'd think you would want the crank pins 180* from one another, or just a little out. If they were set to 90*, I believe the motion would become too 'hurky-jerky'. I could be wrong, and as commented on already, so you have a dead center condition, walk over and give the loco a small assist.

BC1
Jim

zeeprogrammer said:
Pete...the safety valve has been made but I haven't seated the BB in it yet nor tested it.

The idea is this, mount the safety valve on one bushing of the boiler. Mount the mountain tire pump on the other. Pump up to 15psi (if the valve holds). Adjust the screw in the safety valve that holds the spring that holds the BB until air releases at 15psi.

Not wishing to rain on your parade, good luck with this. I've tried the test you are planning and never been successful in getting the ball seated. I've faithfully copied the Kozo article in Live Stearn, made D bits for Africa and never been happy with the results. (I always ended up using a commercial valve for steaming up)

Of course you'll do it first try

Pete

Thanks tmuir.
Thanks Gerald.
Thanks Dan for the safety note. It IS steam after all.

Troutsqueezer said:
I would like to see that rubber band scenario however, Zee. Could you do that tonight and take some videos?

Nope. :big:

Thanks Jim.

Pete...you're right...I do have to try it. I have no alternative. What did you do to make yours work well? I'll have my umbrella ready...along with a fire extinguisher...and kleenex.
The 'other paper' is always available. Never without it.

I was still wondering today if the stand with the idler rollers was worthwhile. I mean, why not just set it on blocks? Ah...because there'd be no weight on the wheels. So I'm thinking this is a good test. Whether I put rubber bands on the front wheels or not. ;D

Zee

The problem is I didn't manage to make mine work very well at all. But as you know don't even think about firing it up until you have made it.

Not sure who suggested it but my understanding of the post was to put the rubber band between the rollers not on the engine. Engine drives back wheels, back wheels drive back roller, back roller drives front roller, front roller drives front wheels.

Pete

Drat Drat and Drat.
I lost my ball...
the BB for the safety valve.
But I found it!
Put it on the worktable next to me.
Turned to the lathe.
Grabbed something and set it to the side...on the worktable next to me.
Heard a ping.
I lost my ball...again.
But I found it!
Nope...it's a dead roly-poly.
Drat Drat and Drat.

[Edit: I found it! Hiding under the drip tray of the mill. It is now in a hermetically sealed envelope in a #2 mayonnaise jar. My porch will have to do though. I have no idea where Funk and Wagnall is.]

Quick test...

I seated the BB and put the safety valve together.
Hooked up the mountain shock bike.
Works well at about 40 psi.
Opens and closes.
Less than that though and the valve leaks too much.

I'm thinking I need to try reseating it again.

'reseating'...putting the BB in the valve, put a dowel on top of that, and bang it with a small hammer. The fact that 40 psi is 'good' tells me (perhaps wrongly) that I'm close. There's enough spring pressure to hold the ball down enough...but any irregularity in the seating shows up with less pressure. Any confirmation? Any 'you idiot'?

[Edit: Also...as I let up on the screw that holds the spring down to reduce the psi needed to left the valve...that screw gets pretty loose. I'm thinking it's going to vibrate where I don't want it to go. I'm thinking teflon tape. ]

Thanks for the PM Pete.

Carl

It looks like you are having a similar experience to me, hopefully the info I sent over will help. Although as 40psi SV would have done me. It's all about getting the ball seated well and getting the right spring pressure.

On my thread there was a bit of a discussion about the validity of using air to test SV's as steam has different characteristics. You could try that suck test but don't swallow the ball or you'll be waiting most of the weekend before you can finish the job.

Pete

Thanks Pete.
I can't tell if I have the ball seated properly. I may have hit it too hard.
As for the spring, it came with the kit. Do people trim them?
(I'll wait a bit for the suck test.)

Disappointment of sorts. I had a go at steam. First time for me so I didn't know what to expect. Steam was coming out of various places as well as water. Tried spinning the wheels forgetting that fuel would drip. So a few flames here and there.

I think one mistake I made was to take the thing apart after running in with air, then putting it back together and going for steam. Putting it back together has (re)tightened some things.

The bigger disappointment is that I'm running out of time. The project at work is at a critical stage so I'm working weekends. If I can't find the time soon, I should be able to have Labor Day weekend.

Just so I have something to show...

e4c78e3d.jpg

Man that sure is a handsome little bugger Zeep. Looks just like the one in your opening post (well pretty close anyway) It truly reflects all of the attention to the details. Get the track laid out, it won't be long now. ;D Thm:

BC1
Jim

Zee,
Your engine is really looking great! That first shot at steam is pretty exciting, isn't it. From personal experience and from what I've been told, steam leaks, stray flames & hot parts are pretty normal the first time around.
Regards,
Dennis

Your loco looks great Carl.

Just a thought as I'd not seen it mentioned - Did you use a different ball from the one you used to whack the seat with on your safety valve ? - nearly all I've read and from my own limited experience with it the safety valves needs 2 balls; one to whack the seat with & tossed away and a new one for use afterwards in the SV. I also had some issues with Fred the loco's safety valve when I tried to use the same ball; after replacement, no leak.

From personal experience and from what I've been told, steam leaks, stray flames & hot parts are pretty normal the first time around
:big: - I fully agree with that!

Regards, Arnold

You might make that three balls, one that gets bashed on to make the seat and disposed of, one that is to become the sealing ball in the valve, and one to replace the one that was to become the sealing ball in the valve but it rolled off the bench and to God knows where and is hiding. ;D

BC1
Jim

I sure like the looks of it, Zee.

I don't think you mentioned this, and it will make some difference to your steaming. Don't fill the boiler
too full. For this, probably about 1/2-2/3 full. If you fill it too much, you'll just get a bunch of water
coming through the pipes.

Also until the cylinders get hot, they are going to spit water for a while. At first, when they are cold, all
the steam is immediately condensed back into water as it goes into them. When they warm up, it
will start steaming properly, provided nothing is binding.

The advice you got about the SV ball is correct, in my experience. Especially the part about one of the
"good" balls rolling under the bench.

Dean

heh heh heh heh...

Thanks Dennis. Your description is a perfect match.

Arnold...I was waiting for someone to mention that. The kit came with only one ball. I'll have to get its dimension and see what I can find/buy/steal. I'm pretty sure that roly-poly I found won't do.

Thanks Jim. Sorry to let you down though. I don't think we'll be seeing this run on track. I'll be happy to have it run either on the stand or on blocks. I just don't have the place to set up. Running it on the stand in the basement is okay...but on track...if it got away from me...I could be in a world of hurt. That leaves the garage...but it's about to go through remodeling.

Thanks Dean. That's exactly what happened and your explanation for what to expect with the pipes is very helpful. I did fill too much.

I'm at work right now...maybe I can try again tomorrow. Oops...gotta go... :big:

Zee,

Looking good.

Be careful so you don't burn the house down while playing with your Choo - choo.

I want a train too.

SAM

Zee

If you need more balls (OK we'll skip the innuendo) just go to your local bike store. They'll have heaps of new ones in all the standard sizes. I think I paid $3 for a bag of 20. That may or may not be cheap but its a convenient source.

Pete

Latest posts

Back