British 0-4-0 Toy Locomotive: he said

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Zeeprogrammer

I have just read through your build, superb work you have a really nice little loco there, congratulations on a wonderful result.

Regards
Tony

Oh, I remember a couple of things I was going to mention, but forgot 'cause I was too
jazzed with the test run.
When you go to steam it, use distilled water. Keeps deposits out of the boiler and your
little steam lines.
Start with hot water in the boiler, and it will steam up faster. I put a cup of distilled in the
microwave for a minute, then pour it into my boiler(s). Then the water will boil in just a
minute or two.

Dean

I got balls!
and track too!
but I'm still on air (literally and figuratively).

Thanks for the tip Pete. Local bike shop was very helpful to get the 5/32 balls.

Thanks Richard.
Thanks Rick (BV)...and darn it...lousy family.
Thanks Marv.
Thanks Gerald.
Thank you very much Tony. That means a lot.
Thanks Steve...stay tuned. ;D
Thanks Dean. Darn you. I completely forgot about using distilled water. I used tap water...but I used hot water from the...can't think what to call it...little heater under the sink that provides instant hot water for my morning coffee. Well that's yet another trip to a store.

Question: I'm putting together the track and I find that the track is so tight that the rails move rather the pins getting fully inserted. Is there a trick? Lionel O gauge (scale?).

zeeprogrammer said:
Thanks Pete. No I hadn't tried boiling water without the valve. What am I looking for?

That you can boil water? It's one more step on the journey! ;)

Pete

Nice going Zee. You"ll walk on solid ground again. It might be a while but you will. :big: :big: :big: :big: :big:
No adult beverage beats this kind of high. No sir.

Ron

Awesome Job Zee.

I loved the vid of the loco running 'loco' across the table, seems like 18psi is plenty of juice.

About the track, When I was a kid we had a Loinel train set. I remember we always had to pull the pins with a pliers to get them out, and to get them in we had to tap them in pretty hard, (Pretty hard for a ten year old that is.) We had to keep them tight so the electricity would flow, but you might be able to widen the female part of the track the pin goes in, not too much though.

Another thought, If the pin don't fit, you have the equipment, and knowledge, to make one that does.

Kel

Thanks Brian. I thought about that...later. I tapped the track together with my little brass hammer...on the rail, not the pin.

Pete..."so I can see if I can boil water"? sigh...but not a far-fetched idea. Can't be too different from boiling eggs. :big:

ozzie46 said:
No adult beverage beats this kind of high. No sir.

Ain't that the truth. Thanks Ron.

Thanks Kel.

And now for the next post...a disappointment perhaps for some...but not for me.

Got the track put together.
Time for another 'air' run.
You can skip the first two...they are 'disasters' but I put them here for 'posterity'.

I got too excited in the first one.
I think my tutu got in the way of the second one. Thankfully, you can't see that.
For the third...the engine is running faster than I expected.
Next installment will be, must be, hopefully is, the steam run.

I had some things I was going to say during the videos...but I was dumbstruck.

zeeprogrammer said:
but I used hot water from the...can't think what to call it...

The water heater?...
;D

A demand heater. I knew what you meant. :D

Nice run(s)!! Successful. Successfuller. Successfullest!
Man, it really scoots, too. Much, much fun. I really want to come over to
your house to play, now!

Dean

WOW!!! She really cooks. Running smooth now too! I hope no one was hurt in the de-railment. :big:

Have you tried it at a lower PSI?

Kel

Deanofid said:
I really want to come over to your house to play, now!

Any time Dean. Bring a casserole though. ;D
And your shop. You got better toys.

Thanks Kel. No injuries. I thought it was set at 18 but I just looked at it and it appears it was running at about 25. I did another run at what is supposed to be 15. It ran around the track, slowly, but it ran. Not sure about the psi though. I set the regulator to 15 but when I got back to it after the run...it indicated 20. It dropped to 15 when I applied pressure.

I think there's a leak at the steam dome...I'm hoping it's the gasket. Next run (when I can get to it) will tell.

Wow oh wow oh wow.
Did I say that before?

I've really enjoyed watching you build this Zee

It really does scoot along in that movie. Glad to see it working out so well

It looks really good Zee! Next you need to install a reversing valve so you can unwind the air hose once in awhile! :big: :big:

Steve C.

Zee,

I have enjoyed the journey which resulted in a great build and successful run.

Perhaps you can make a coal tender, freight car or caboose to pull behind it.

As always, looking forward to the next episode of "British 0-4-0 Toy Locomotive: he said".

Regards,

SAM

How about that! A control line locomotive. The airplane guys are gonna be sooo jealous.

Re distilled water...

Around here they sell mostly de-ionized water and one really has to look for distilled water. Since most of the mineral impurities in water are going to be in the form of ions, I suppose that de-ionized water is an ok substitute for distilled in a boiler but I'm willing to be corrected on that point.

Latest posts

Back