Briggs & Stratton 6S - A Beginnig

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
b.lindsey said:
Thanks Fred. I do plan on contacting them once it is up and running if only to make sure there would be no problem in offering the plans for the model since it obviously bears their name and hopefully a striking resemblance to their engine as well. I can well imagine that the letter from Mr. Stratton is certainly one ofo your prized posessions!!! Have you posted pictures of your "twins" previously? Would love to see them.

Regards,
Bill

I very much doubt that B&S would find issue Bill. It would never compete with their product, and If I were them would welcome the free publicity from the model itself. It WILL get looked at! ;D

More like have them pay you ....like a sponsership on the side of a race car.

Dave

John, I apologize for getting you name wrong in the previous post, no idea where I got Fred from...senior moment i suppose. Anyway I corrected it. That is some nice work on those twins and the link worked fine. Thanks for sharing the photos!!

Bill

Back to work on the crankcase now that students are done with the semester. The first thing I wanted to do was to work on the side opposite the flywheel to do all the relief work leaving the raised areas and reinforcing webs remaining. Got a start on that today as shown in the photo's below. I will post more as things begin coming into focus from the remaining excess auimunum.

Bill

Crankcase 001.jpg

Crankcase 002.jpg

Crankcase 003.jpg

A little more carving out on the crankcase mainly to get rid of some larger amounts of material to make the subsequent rotary table work a bit easier for a smaller endmill. Both some additional rotary table work and setting up some angles will be needed to rully define the round bolsters and webs. More to follow later.

Bill

Crankcase 004.jpg

Crankcase 005.jpg

Crankcase 006.jpg

Thanks Bill...I ain't kil't it yet at least, but that's why I wanted to wait until I had some uninterrupted time to do most of this more detailed work. It's certainly not up to gbritnel's standards but its coming along and I think will smooth out rather nicely once done. A few more pictures of this afternoon's work follow. Some of the reinforcing webs still look rough because I have so far only machined up close. The only one that is finished is the one running from the crankshaft bushing up to the lever start stud bolster in the upper right. More tomorrow.

Crankcase 007.jpg

Crankcase 008.jpg

Crankcase 009.jpg

:bow: :bow: Awesome job Bill ! ;D

Kind regards, Arnold

You must have a nicely sized pile of chips from all that, Bill. It's looking good!

Thanks Arnold and Dean. There was a decent pile of chips but the crankcase looks larger in the pics than it is. This is the part I was not looking forward to but am pleased so far...too many intersecting radii, fillets, etc. I hope to finish up this face tomorrow, then on to some straight line milling on the other sides, in preparation for the non-symmetric shaped top of the case where the fins will be cut. Thanks for checking in.

Bill

Hi Bill,
You know there's an engine lurking under all that aluminum. You just have to plot your course and keep chipping away at it. Before you know it it will pop out of there.
Great work on all the parts.
George

No rush and no worries Bill. One step at a time.

Looking great!

Dave

Thanks George and Dave. My goal is to have the block finished by the end of next week. With each chip that comes off though it is begining to look more and more like the original which is good at least.

Jake, that NP block is similar in so many ways...only the pulley shafe side differs substantially. It seems B&S made fairly gradual changes in the evolution of this basic design. That one you have pictured looks to be in like new condition.

Bill

Got a little more done today still on the same side. Smoothed out some of the webs to the proper thickness and milled up towards the head just to the point where the fins will stop. More tomorrow I hope.

Crankcase 003.jpg

Crankcase 004.jpg

Crankcase 005.jpg

Some pretty nice sculpting there Bill.

Keep it up!

This weekwnd I made the valve cagesfrom a couple of 4" long pieces of oilite bearing bronze I have had for at least 10 years. Don't even remember now why I bought it, but this seemed a good use for it. Not much to describe as to the fabrication but there are some pictures below as well as of the finished parts assembled with the valves, springs and keepers. There is enough movement in the intake assembly but the exhaust side may need some minor spring adjustment (shortening) to be sure it has the needed 1/16" of travel without bottoming out the spring with some safety factor.

IMG_0572.JPG

IMG_0573.JPG

IMG_0574.JPG

IMG_0575.JPG

The next two are of the vavle seat area and the two completed assemblies.

IMG_0576.JPG

IMG_0577.JPG

Despite attending a 3 day seminar last week I did manage to get a little done on the crankcase on the flywheel side again. The more I get done the more nerve wracking it is so I spent some of the weekend looking at the drawings and double or triple checking dimentions. The strategy now is to work on one specific area each day...whatever I can get done during lunch or before the day starts. Had hoped to get it complete last week but it wasn't to be.

IMG_0569.JPG

IMG_0570.JPG

IMG_0571.JPG

One step at a time Bill! There's no need to rush here...

Dave

Latest posts

Back