Briggs & Stratton 6S - A Beginnig

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The final three shots are after removing the crankcase from the RT and shown with the cylinder head in place. Finally its starting to look even more like its big sister!! Tomorrow I will cut the spaces between the fins and finish rounding the area around the lower cylinder (beneath the fins). All of that work will be located from the center of the bore making set-up a little easier.

IMG_0605.JPG

IMG_0606.JPG

IMG_0607.JPG

Thanks for looking in Dave, I know its been a while since I posted any progress, not from lack of interest, just that pesky little thing called work!! :big:

Bill

Hi Bill
I love your work :bow: :bow:
Pete

Thanks Pete, I hope to have more to show later today.

Bill

Hi Bill

Was saying earlier to Larry (American LaFrance steam fire pumper)

(That is the problem with this forum, there are so many distractions, (although I hesitate to call interesting projects a problem) it’s a wonder anyone gets anything done)

I lost over 2 hours this morning catching up with his build from the start (impressive), then had a little shop time. Came in for a quick sandwich and cuppa, opened the laptop and clicked on your project, which even flicking through quickly, I picked up a good tip from one of your pictures. This evening I will make a start at page one, as I am very impressed with what little I have seen so far.

I must discipline myself not to login to HMEM during the day otherwise my small project may not be complete until the Christmas turkey has been eaten ;D

Cheers Les :bow:

Thanks for having a look Les. Just out of curiosity, what was the tip you picked up?

I usually keep HMEM open on a browser tab and check in when I have a few minutes...even then, I agree, it is hard to keep up with everything...so many great builds going on here!!!

Regards,
Bill

It was your use of clamping blocks, img 0604 on page 46. I have not had cause to use the any but the small end of the range, and have not seen that combination used before. It is now tucked away for future use.

You can guarantee there are many other tips I will pick up as I progress through your build as I have only just scratched the surface yet.

Cheers Les

I had a good chunk of time during the day so I could concentrate on cutting the fins or rather the spaces between them. Each of the 6 spaces has a straight cit along each side and a round cut around the nose of the crankcase. The mill was set on the lowest pulley speed and in low range so the rpm for the 1/8" wide x 2" dia. slotting saw was 80. I wasn't sure how much cut to take each pass so started at around .030 but by the last groove .050 worked fine and sped things up a bit. A few pictures follow.

IMG_0608.JPG

IMG_0609.JPG

IMG_0610.JPG

IMG_0611.JPG

I started rounding the area under the bottom fin around the nose of the crankcase but ran into a clearance issue so will have to complete that after the 4th with a larger dia saw. The last two photos show the crankcase alongside the full size one. There is still some delicate milling to do on the back side where the carb and muffler attach as well as drilling for the head bolts and valve guides, bet even so the family resemblance is beginning to show now I think. Thanks for having a look.

IMG_0612.JPG

IMG_0613.JPG

IMG_0615.JPG

Bill,
It just keeps getting better and better. Amazing workmanship. Thm: Thm:
Gail in NM

Remarkable, absolutely remarkable!! :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Ron

Gail and Ron...thanks to both of you for the kind words.

Bill

Like Gail says, better and better! Looks fantastic, Bill.
Not only a great build thread, but a lot of good instruction for the guys reading it.
Still watching. In it for the long haul, for sure! : )

Dean

Looks GREAT Bill :bow: :bow:

Kind regards, Arnold

I'm happy to catch up on this project (and I know there are many others to catch up on too)

I'm thinking it would be great to have a pic of 'these are all the parts so far'.

It would be amazing.

Thanks Dean and Arnold for your ongoing support of this project. Zee...I was thinking just this morinng that it has been a long time since I have seen you. I know work has been keeping you busy but thanks for checking in. I will see what I can do about taking a new "family" portrait. Good to have you back...you have been missed!!

Bill

That is looking ace! Are you going to attemp to machine the detail around the valve stem? that would prove very testing indeed!

Chaffe, I am assuming that you are referring to the areas where the muffler and carb attach to the back side. I am planning to replocate that detail as well as removing more metal under the carb mount area and shortening the fins on the flywheel side as shown in the last picture posted. Some of this relief is needed so other parts can fit.

Bill

Latest posts

Back