Briggs & Stratton 6S - A Beginnig

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That head is a beauty, Bill. Sure looks good!
What did you use to round over the very corners of the fins so nice?

Dean

Great finish work on the cylinder head, Bill :bow: :bow: :bow:

Looks super with the plug and bolts.

Jeff

Thanks Dean,
I just used a flat needle file and then some 320 grit sandpaper. There isn't enough clearence between the fin tops and the surface of the head for much else. On top of that the front two fins are lower in height as per the prototype. Still a bit unhappy with a few remaining tool marks so I may try bead blasting the top of the head or just paint the head with some hi temp glossy black engine paint. Thanks for checking in. I am enjoying your build thread too!!

Bill

Thanks Jeff, you snuck in a post as I was writing. I appreciate your support and didn.t want you to think i was ignoring it at all.

Bill

Bill

I've been following along from the beginning without saying much, but just have to pipe up and say WOW. That's looking really good.
Looking forward to more!

Cheers, Joe

Thanks Joe....Hope you will stay tuned....I am hoping to have some progress pictures on the muffler by this evening.

Bill

Great job you are doing on this engine. I have always wanted to do a 1/2 scale model of my Johnson Ironhorse, but I think I will wait until I get a couple of simpler IC engines under my belt.

IronHorse

Thanks IronHorse. This is my first IC so I am having to learn a new mindset for some things, even though the basic machining processes are similar. I probably should have picked something simpler, but what the heck...I think it will be an interesting model once done, and hopefully interesting to others.

Bill

OK guys...please allow me one last couple of pics of the cylinder head. I bead blasted the top side this morning and am finally happy with the results. The remaining tool marks had been driving me crazy, but now I think the matte finish from the blasting makes it look even more like a casting. Now I can more on without this nagging me from the completed parts shelf. I promise this will be it on this part.

IMG_0018.JPG

IMG_0020.JPG

Well, if it was bothering you, I'm glad you got it taken care of, Bill. : )
You're right, it really does look good, and even better than before, although I was already impressed the way it was!

Very nice.

Dean

I found another piece of stainless for the outer part of the muffler...already had a piece for the inner core. I am working on the inner core first. The octagonal hole pattern will be copied on the other end as well and matches closely the pattern in the prototype. As best as I can tell without disecting the full size muffler, the exhaust gasses will enter the end shown below (the threads are for the elbow that will attach it to the exhaust port on the crankcase). Since ther is no through hole the gasses will be forced out through the holes and into the void between the core and outer casing...travel along this void to the exit end and then be forced through matching holes into the exit end of the core and finally out. I am hoping the stainless will hold up well over time.

IMG_0017.JPG

IMG_0021.JPG

IMG_0022.JPG

Good going Bill :)

I like to see the comparison pictures between the big and little engine parts.

Keep up the build...lots of fun!!!

Jeff

Thanks Dean and Jeff. When I get a little closer on the muffler I will post another big and little picture.

Heck Bill,

I just scrolled up (missed it before)and saw the pictures of the bead blasted head. Now that looks Great! :) :) :)

What a cool engine this is forming into...

Jeff

This is a fantastic build, I love seeing the comparison of model and full size parts. ;D

Thanks for following along Jeff and Lee. I will continue with the comparison pictures as additional parts are done. I should be finished with the muffler tonight except for silver soldering it together so please check back for that.

Bill

With the exception of soldering it together, making the elbow, the the square locking nut, the muffler is finished. All in all this was a straightforward and fun part to make. A few pictures follow:

IMG_0023.JPG

IMG_0024.JPG

IMG_0025.JPG

IMG_0026.JPG

Here are a few size reference and comparison pictures:

IMG_0027.JPG

IMG_0028.JPG

IMG_0029.JPG

I like this build so much. That's just really nice work you did on the muffler, Bill. Looks great!

I see you used stainless for it, and on your Sherline, too. It looks like the tangential tool worked very well.
What type of stainless are you using?

Dean

Really nice Bill. Finish looks very smooth.

And of course the comparison pictures top it off. This build continues to get more and more interesting.

Jeff

Latest posts

Back