Briggs & Stratton 6S - A Beginnig

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dean, I know the core tube is 316 stainless. The outer shell material was a scrap piece i had but most likely 316 as well. I must confess that a lot of the rough machining was done at work on a JET 13 x 40 lathe, including drilling the core from both sides ( 3/8 on one side and letter Q on the other for a 3/8-24 tapped hole) and drilling a 7/16" through the blank for the outer shells. My Sherline tailstock chuck can't handle more than a 1/4" drill. All the other work was done on the Sherline though...boring out the shells, finishing the OD on both shell halves, and making the overlapping joint in the middle. The tangential toolholder works very well even on stainless, and i use it a lot! For boring, i use an A.R. Warner boring bar with HSS inserts I picked up at Cabin Fever a few years ago. They make some nice stuff!!

Thanks Jeff...the comparison pic was at your request :). I was pleased with the finish and with the stainless, this little guy should outlive me!!

Bill

Just some finish up work on the muffler this morning, didn't go as well as planned. That little elbow fitting game me fits. After three (or was it four) attempts to bend it and distorting it beyond use in the process I finally tried cutting almost through it with a Dremel cut-off disk and soldering it. The little square keeper nut went better. This afternoon and tomorrow I hope to get a start on the connecting rod.

IMG_0031.JPG

IMG_0032.JPG

IMG_0035.JPG

Here's the finished bits and final sub-assembly.

IMG_0038.JPG

IMG_0039.JPG

Thanks Speedy. Here are a few pics of today's work, not too much but got a start on the connecting rod. Looks like it gonna be another tedious part!

IMG_0040.JPG

IMG_0041-1.JPG

IMG_0042.JPG

b.lindsey said:
Looks like it gonna be another tedious part!

From the looks of your previous progress, Bill, I think you're just the man for the job.
Looking good thus far!

Dean

Thanks Dean, actually your work on the Duplex got me inspired to begin on the Con Rod. Just hope I can do half as good a job as you've bone thus far. Anxiously awaiting your further progress too!!

Bill

Not much to show after a week but still some progress on the con rod. As I suspected this is one tedious part and todays work felt more like carving than machining. The angle table came in very handy for tapering the side edges from .500 down to .250 (well one side is done in the last pic below). After getting this far today, i hung it up before making a non-fixable error. It still looks a little rough but is taking on the shape of the original gradually.

IMG_0043.JPG

IMG_0044.JPG

IMG_0045.JPG

IMG_0047.JPG

Rods, arms, and linkages are often pretty intricate and time consuming unless you're just making one of the flat kind with a couple of holes in it. I can see the time you've put into this already, Bill. It has a number of different shapes and angles for a small part. Good going!

I think some filing buttons will come in handy for your finish work.

Thanks for the new pics!

Dean

The parts are looking great, Bill. Obviously you are putting much effort into the details, much more than I have the patience for. One would be hard pressed to tell the difference without a size reference.

Thanks Dean and Kevin. Based on todays pictures, you are being overly kind, I'll try to get some better ones tomorrow after some more work. It would have been easy to simplify this part since it will never be seen, but then that defeats the goal I began with of making it as true to the original as my capabilities allow. Anyway, thanks for the kind words and the confidence.

Bill

A little more work this morning and its slowly taking shape. Still need to hollow out the side walls, chamfer the crank hole, add the oil groove and do some rounding on the cap piece and then it will be down to filing and sanding to make it look more finished. Bead blasting on the non-running areas might be just the trick too. At least it can cover up some microscopic "sins".

IMG_0048.JPG

IMG_0050.JPG

IMG_0052.JPG

I'm totally enjoying the step by step progress updates here Bill.

Please keep them coming!

Rick

Thanks Rick, glad you are still checking in to keep me straight :).

Still got that "Y" ?? At this rate I might be wanting it in a year or so ;D ;D

Bill

Oh Yeah!

The Y is still here.
When you are ready for it let me know.
I'd be more than happy to donate it to a modeling effort.

Rick

Yeah Bill,

Enjoy the picture updates :) :) :)

You're making progress...

Jeff

Today I got the side reliefs milled into the con rod but had to make a small fixture first to hold it steady Tomorrow I hope to get the rounding done on the cap and a few other finish details like narrowing the wrist pin end. So far it has been left at the .500 width to match the crank end to facilitate keeping things flat in various set-uos. Not a lot of progress I know...if I could just figure out how to keep the grass from growing and needing mowing it would help!!

IMG_0054.JPG

IMG_0055.JPG

IMG_0056.JPG

IMG_0058.JPG

I hate that grass...wish I could afford to Pave the yard :)

Con Rod looking great Bill...

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. Hmmmm....paving huh? Not sure the neighbors would appreciate that. Maybe some astroturf...now there's an idea ;D

Bill

Latest posts

Back