Brian Builds the Kerzel Hit and Miss I.C.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great Job on the carb design.

FWIW, I ended up putting a spring between the hex nut on the throttle and the carburetter body. At first it held in place by itself, but I think over time it loosened up, and someway to keep the throttle in place was needed. Hens the spring. Perhaps just keeping slight pressure on the throttle nut is all that is needed.

I also noticed a difference in the engines performance. When I had the throttle in the 1/2-3/4 range, the engine ran smoother than at wide open throttle. I think this adds turbulence to the air/fuel ratio and helps mix the mixture a little better.

Kel

Brian Rupnow said:
And after that valient effort, has anybody out there got a couple of #2-56 x 3/8" or 1/2" long brass shcs that they could volunteer to me? Nobody in Barrie sells them unless I order a box of 50 of them!!!
Brian, I have some 2-56 x 1/2" brass hex head cap screws that I can stick in an envelope and send to you if they are of any use.

Allen

Twineman---that would truly be wonderfull if you could!!! Thank you. Click on my "signature" to get to my web page and contact information.

Brian Rupnow said:
Twineman---that would truly be wonderfull if you could!!! Thank you. Click on my "signature" to get to my web page and contact information.
No problem Brian, they are in the mail today.

No model engineering progress today. Eight hours of "real" work, and then the rest of the day I've been reloading a kajillion software programs onto my laptop. It blew its cookies last month so its been in the shop having its operating system dumped and reinstalled.---Good news is it only cost $100---Considerably cheaper than another laptop!!!

I managed to steal an hours time tonight and make the carburetor body. I had a peice of 5/8" brass round stock, so I set it up in the 3 jaw in my lathe to do the inner diameters and the internal thread, then cut it off the main stock, flipped it end for end and turned the small diameter on the end. Then over to the 3 jaw in my rotary table to drill the cross holes and mill the 4 sides square.
MACHINEDCARBBODY.jpg

Tonight we built a throttle screw. Made from 1018 mild steel. Heck, I even got fancy and knurled the knob. Then I got even fancier and heated it to a medium red/orange with my oxy acetylene torch and dropped it into a tin of motor oil to blacken it. I will probably use two hex nuts rather than the one as shown in the assembly, to lock against each other keep the nut from loosening off when (if) I adjust the throttle.
THROTTLESCREW001.jpg

THROTTLESCREW002.jpg

Grrrrr!!! Mad tonight!!! I'm too busy working at my real job to run across town to where the toolshops are. I phoned over today to have one of the guys who works over there but lives near me bring me a #2-56 tap and bottoming tap when he got off work. He showed up about half an hour ago with the taps. I THOUGHT I had a 0.070" drill----AND I DON'T!!! So---no work will be accomplished tonight, at least not on carburetor parts. Maybe its time to finish up the sparkplug tonight.

Well, it were a terrible struggle---But my sparkplug now has a bottom electrode. Had to silver solder it---Loctite won't work for this. Too much like picking fly$hit out of pepper for me, but that ends done.
sparkplugelectrode-1002.jpg

sparkplugelectrode-1001.jpg

Watch the "crappy Tire" flyer for their letter, number, fractional drill set. It comes on sale for 60 bucks, then you will have a proper index and as they dull you can replace them with cobalt or WHY. Its a good set and quality is not bad either. Same for their tap and die set.

Well there ya go, and they'll even throw in some driver bits. Sure must be better than chasing around for a drill at a time, no?

I hung up the phone, grabbed my jacket and hot footed it down to Canadian Tire. Found the kid who looks after "drills" and he informed me the sale ended yesterday. I ragged on him a bit, and he gave it to me for sales price. Now back to work. Work-Work-Work----Thanks Guys.

Good score, you won't be disappointed. Keep your eye out for the tap and die set too, for non production work it will do just fine.

Looking forward to hearing and seeing your engine run.

I have an ancient yard-sale set of Craftsman taps and dies that have lasted me for the last 30 years---I just replace 'em one at a time as I need to.

Back