Brian Builds the Kerzel Hit and Miss I.C.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Brian: Absolutely spectacular. You brought out one of the nicest things about this site and that is everyone is a friend who wants to help. I am so happy you got it cooking. Congratulations!!!!
I am about to try to start my Hit or Miss IC which will be a first time for me . I am not sure about the ignition system. Could you post a picture of yours? Jack B

Sounds very smooth. We all knew you'd get it going, it was only a matter of time. Congrats.

Thm: Thm: Thm:

Short, but sweet!

ONYA BRIAN!!!

tel said:
Thm: Thm: Thm:

Short, but sweet!

ONYA BRIAN!!!

I couldn't say it any better. :bow: :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Great job, Brian. :bow: :bow: :bow: Looking forward to the hit-and-miss mode.

Regards,
Rudy

Congrats Brian!
Nice looking and I enjoyed the video.
I'm enjoying the trip.

The more the engine runs, the better it runs. I must say that the "throttle" I built into the carburetor doesn't seem to do bugger all. It doesn't make much difference to the engine RPM untill its just about fully closed, then the engine just dies suddenly. Having never built a carburetor before, I'm not really sure what to expect, but the engine seems to want to run awfull damn fast. I have to do a little adding to the Kerzel lever ledge, because right now even though the weights are flying out under centrifugal force and the arm is moving into place like its supposed to, the exhaust valve is still closing enough for the engine to fire, and since the throttle seems to be rather useless for slowing it down, the engine wants to run away with itself. Probably once I get the arm adjusted correctly, the wide open throttle will be a good thing. I foresee a very delicate balance between engine RPM and return spring tension on the counterweights.

Fantastic Brian!! :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Your perseverance in this build has paid off well. Whats next?

Now you can sleep better. :big: :big:

Congratulations Brian,
It was a long hard fought battle but your perseverance paid off. The amount of information that was shared during the build helped everyone here.
Now for the carburetor. It's surprising how little air and thus fuel a small engine requires. The venturi in the 'Tiny' engine is minuscule but it still runs quite fast. Part of the reason your engine dies when the throttle is closed is because the mixture is not right for the amount of air the engine is using. A hit and miss engine has a fixed venturi and therefore a preset needle valve for the operating rpm of the engine. The engine doesn't or shouldn't vary much from 'missing' to operating under load so if the rpm changes a little the carburetor doesn't need to be readjusted. To use a throttling carburetor you need an air bleed type. This will allow for 2 different air/fuel mixtures, one at high speed and one at idle. When you get your engine into the hit and miss configuration having a throttling carb won't be necessary.
George

From my full size hit and miss experience, I second George's comments ....and another "ONYA" from me! ;D

Good Job Brian!

Dave

Congratulations Brian!!!!!!!!!!! The engine runs great and sounds nice. When you get the governor working properly, your carburetor will be just fine as is.

It can get to be quite a challenge getting the proper springs for the governor. If you make your own you'll be home free.

I don't know if you have those junk stores that sell all that Chinese stuff in your area, but if you do, most of them sell bags of assorted springs for cheap. I buys some every chance I get and have used them on most of my engines.

Brian - if you have a princess auto near by - they sell a big bag of springs for $3.99.

great news Brian
its a good day :D :D ;D

Thanks George. I kind of figured that there was no need for a throttled carb on a hit and miss, but you know how it is---I had to build a carb anyways, so I thought it would be a good learning experience. I have never had an engine fight me every step of the way like this one did. Its such a pretty engine too----hopefully I can get the hit and miss lever adjusted so that everything runs at a slower gallop. I notice that the Kerzel built by the fellow in New Zealand (I posted a link to his video ) seems to run at a pretty fast clip also.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3VkGFDSSgo[/ame]

Jack B said:
Hi Brian: Absolutely spectacular. You brought out one of the nicest things about this site and that is everyone is a friend who wants to help. I am so happy you got it cooking. Congratulations!!!!
I am about to try to start my Hit or Miss IC which will be a first time for me . I am not sure about the ignition system. Could you post a picture of yours? Jack B

Jack---The points and condenser are out of a Chrysler product---if you are brave enough to wade through all 40 pages, there is a picture of them on the engine as well as the part numbers for them at your local auto store. The coil is a general purpose 12 volt automobile coil. What else do you want to know?

CONGRATULATIONS !!! Brian I've followed this build from the begining, and have enjoyed it, I'm sorry you had to go thru such and ordeal getting it running, but you handled the hardship well. I want to say that the help from everyone shows how friendly and helpfull this forum is. Glad you saw it thru to the end
John

Latest posts

Back