Brian Builds the Kerzel Hit and Miss I.C.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brian Rupnow said:
Jack---The points and condenser are out of a Chrysler product---if you are brave enough to wade through all 40 pages, there is a picture of them on the engine as well as the part numbers for them at your local auto store. The coil is a general purpose 12 volt automobile coil. What else do you want to know?
Hi Brian: I have Model A Points, 6 Volt Coil and matching Condenser but I don't know what to use for a battery. Jack B

Hey Brian, Congradulations! :bow:

Glad to see and hear your running engine! Sounds real good to! I had all the confidence in the world that you would solve the valve problem and get 'er to go. I bet your feeling real good, and you should be. I know that feeling, and theirs nothing like it.

-MB

Very nice job Brian and thanks for all the documenting. I am about to get back to my Upshur build and will be referencing these pages often, as well as MB's.

Glad to see your got it running, and all the helpful hints that everyone gave. Great site.

Hi brian
that thing is just lovely
its a inspiration
Pete

Not only is this thread a great help to anybody considering building an i.c. engine but a great lesson in perseverance, well done Brian - absolutely brilliant, I knew you couldn't give up on it. Looking forward to fine tuning but from that other guy's clip it looks like all you need do is hook up the governor!
:bow:
Nick

Well done Brian you sure tamed the beast, a hit and miss is on my todo list and this thread will show me the way thanks for posting.

Stew

Last night before I went to bed, I filled the water reservoir with water, right to the top. This morning its still full right to the top and no puddles anywhere.

Jack B said:
Hi Brian: I have Model A Points, 6 Volt Coil and matching Condenser but I don't know what to use for a battery. Jack B
Either buy a 6 volt battery or update the coil to 12 volts. The points will handle either 6 or 12 volts.

jpeter said:
Congrats.

Watch running it without oil. I mix 2 stroke oil, 20 to 1 with naptha. It works well. I add 1 oz to a 20 oz pop bottle full. Try it.
Thanks JPeter---I needed that information. I was going to use WD40 as my additive, but they only sell it in one gallon cans here, and it costs about 40$ for a gallon of the stuff.----Brian

I'm getting good long runs now. I used Jpeters recipe for mixed gas, and the water reservoir is full to help with cooling. I have discovered that this engine wants a lot of advance on the ignition. It will run slower with a retarded ignition, but periodically will stop for no reason. wITH THE SPARK ADVANCED, IT RUNS AT A FASTER CLIP, BUT IF THERE IS A BIT OF HESITATION, IT HAS ENOUGH MOMENTUM TO CARRY IT THROUGH TO THE NEXT POWER STROKE, SO DOESN'T STALL. dAMN I HATE CAPS LOCK!!! Thats what happens when you don't learn to type untill you're 51---I have to watch the keyboard while I type, and if I indavertantly turn caps-lock on, I don't know untill I eventually look up at the monitor.

Congratulations Brian! I go away for the weekend and miss all the action. Perseverance wins them all!

Ian

Brian Rupnow said:
dAMN I HATE CAPS LOCK!!! Thats what happens when you don't learn to type untill you're 51---I have to watch the keyboard while I type, and if I indavertantly turn caps-lock on, I don't know untill I eventually look up at the monitor.

Brain, glad to see your fine tuning is giving positive results.

On the subject of the 'caps' button, I bump the 'caps lock' button my self on occasion. What I do is put the cursor in front of the first word and re-type it, then I use the delete button to remove the offending word. One word at a time helps me to eliminate the possibility of my feeble mind forgetting what I just typed. ;D

Edit; I just came up with a brilliant solution to the offensive 'caps lock' button. We all have the right tool, a screw driver! Just jam it under the button, pry the sucker up, and toss it in the can. Ahhh... the power of the active mind. Is that worth a Karma point?

-MB

MetalButcher---Your solution to Caps lock is TEFC----Totally effective/fantastically crude.----Tel---Here's a little hint for you---You will notice that my engine revolves in reverse to that of the chap from New zealand. Nothing to do with Corriolis effect.--Its just that the stubshaft that the cam gear rides on is held in place by a threaded fastener--with right hand threads.---And when the engine rotates in reverse to what I have, the damned stub arbor unscrews itself and the gears fall off in a heap.---Brian

Virtually any text editor worth its salt has a case inversion function.

i TYPED THIS IN LOWER CASE, HIGHLIGHTED IT AND CASE INVERTED IT.

If you're typing a long reply, it's wise to do it an editor exterior to the reply function in the forum - far less chance of inadvertently losing what you've written.

I use DocPad but there are loads of free editors out there in cyber land.

Of course, the best thing is to learn to touch type properly and watch the screen. You'll be amazed how many mistakes you'll catch that way.

Congratulations on getting it running and looking so well, it makes all the heartache worthwhile in the end.

Cheers,
MartinH

Brian, well done, you must be so pleased. :bow: It's running superbly there, doesn't sound like anything would stop it! Can't wait to see it miss now...

Nick

Since the throttle I had built into the carburetor didn't seem to have any positive effect on the way the engine ran, I decided that it was just an impediment to good airflow, so I removed it and made up a pair of brass plugs which I loctited into the sides of the carburetor body. Jury is still out on the net effect of this, but there are only really 3 things to be adjusted which influence the way this engine runs, now that the compression is good. ---Ignition timing, valve timing, and needle valve setting. By removing the throttle, I have eliminated a couple of places where the carb might have been sucking air around the throttle shaft.
throttleremoved001.jpg

Back