brass nameplate ?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmuss51

Reaction score
i just finished building my first engine which is a hit & miss and sits on a cart. of which i would like to add a nameplate to the cart which would have on it my name, date finished along with my town and state. but i don't know what size plate to get and where would be a good place to get it.
i do plan to build other engines.which i plan to add nameplates to, so i will probably get multi plates made up.but should i get all the same size or go according to the size of the motor? like what i just finished is a 1/2 scale of a 1 1/2 hp nh motor and my next project is a 1/2 scale of a 1/2 hp nh motor then my next project is a 1/4 scale of a 1/2 hp nh motor.

so the ? i'm asking is: what size brass plate and where is the best place to get them?

A Thought,

Find a local shop that engraves trophies....ect.

They should be able to help you.

Dave

bmuss51, I get my nameplates from a local trophy maker. The ones I use are 7/8 X 3. I have one on just about every engine I have built. Some of them are screwed on wooded bases and some are held on the metal bases with double back tape.
EnginePlaques007.jpg

This is one on my 1/2 scale 1/2 New Holland.

She has a computer engraving machine that can except just about any font style & size on the computer. I pay $7.00 each for the plaques. If I make an appointment I can usually wait while she does a bunch for me.

Hope you have as good a luck as I have had with my supplier. I'm sure if you want to handle it by mail, she would work with you.

Have you got cnc mill or access to one. If so do your own.

Julian.

Hello Bmuss, trophy shops are usually the place to purchase such items. However, if you can locate a store that supplies awards (not merely the screw together bowling trophies and such) but one that has plaques and cut glass awards etc. for many of the awards given out at business luncheons etc. They should be able to silkscreen small nameplates (1"x whatever). I have had many of them done using this method and believe me, it saves one having to catch the light just right to see the name clearly.

BC1
Jim

You could etch the name plates, relatively simple, and then paint them, rub off the raised section exposing the brass and you have a very cool plate.

I have had success using image transfer film used by electronics enthusiasts. Try this link for more info...

http://www.techniks.com/how_to.htm

The photos show some plates I made using this method. I used Microsoft PowerPoint to make the graphic image and then copied it on to the image transfer sheet for etching using ferric chloride from an electronics shop.

OB Nameplates - Etch.JPG

OB Nameplates - Etch.JPG

OB Builder Plate.JPG

Latest posts

Back