Bought the Micromark

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OregonBill

Reaction score
I just ordered the 7 X 16 from MicroMark. Within my budget, I think I'll be getting a good machine, and still have some cash for tooling. Anyone else running this lathe? If so, advice would be most appreciated. Plan to order tooling kit (s) from the Little Machine Shop.

Bought mine a few months back, first thing I did was replace the Mickey Mouse carriage/ saddle under plate gib screw adjustment system with a set of shims, took about an hour of cut and try but is well worth it, smooth travel the whole length and very little rocking motion. Cross and compound slides: pulled the gib strips off and hand lapped them to take out slight curvature so the pressure from the gib screws are constant throughout travel range, i.e. no slop. Aligned tailstock and headstock centers, just required a few thou of moving the tailstock towards the backsplash, took about 30 minutes of adjust & try. All in all I’m very happy with it, my investment in tuneup time is minimal for the resultant accuracy I get which is suitable for my needs.
Woodturning on the metal lathe
Chuck cradle

I also have one, I've had it about a year now.
I got the A2Z QC tool post. but if I had it to do over I would buy LMS's shortened compound slide and use a AXA style.
I've also taken tbe chip guard off, I plan to put it back on, but with some spacers that will not allow it to interfere with the compound. Don't get drawn in on the DRO's for it, as they are more trouble than they are worth. Also the Tach is not very useful, as I cut buy feel, not by look at how fast the spindle is turning.
I have a four jaw, a face plate, and a steady rest for it.
It takes a little tuning, but it's a fair lathe for the price. (until you realize that you need something bigger.
Hope you enjoy it.

Thanks fellas. Looks like I will have a bit of homework before I learn to use it. The Sieg brushless high-torque motor and the 16-inch bed sold me on it.

I've had that machine since 2004 or 2005, can't quite remember. The only problem I've had is, with the lathe stopped and the forward/reverse switch in forward or reverse, if I bump the big off switch the spindle will start to turn. So I got in the habit of always turning the forward/reverse switch to off.
This seems to have developed over the last couple of years. Don't know if the newer machines have this issue.
I did buy the digital readouts and they only lasted a couple of years. Went back to the dials (they hardly ever fail!)
Other than that I have no problem with what the machine is, a light duty lathe.
I have a bunch of stuff from LMS also, not bad for the price.

John

The miromark lathe is kinda the east coast version of the LMS machine. these supped up minis have many improvements over the original Mini lathe longer bed cam lock tail stock, more powerful motor etc.
lathe tooling is not as bad as mill tooling .
get a box of 1/4 bits and learn to grind. IMHO a quick change tool post make life a lot easier. A live center and a drill chuck pretty important as are drill bit. Drill machine bit are nice for limited Z axis machines. but more expensive for some odd reason.

drill bits can be had in different ways. you can just buy the sizes you need but how do you know what sizes as a beginner. tap drill and fraction by a 1/16 will get you by.
or get a good quality 115pc set and you are good. or get a cheap set when you wear out or break them replace with good ones.
Bill what tooling kit are you planning on ordering.

while the kits seem nice they may have stuff you do not need.

this kit looks great at face value but my question is what insert turning facing kit are you getting? it says wood case, which leads me to think import. the good ones Warner CO. come in a plastic box. In my experience the import indexable tool bit holders are not worth having yes I bought the HFT brand. but the Warner's are great.

Hope this helps.
Tin

Thanks for the advice, Tin. I went over the LMS kits carefully last night and concluded that I would be ahead a bit to just order what I think I'll need to start: live center, drill chuck, four-jaw chuck, quick change tool post, a basic selection of cutters, centering drills, etc. I have a good selection of drill bits already.

As far as Quick change tool posts. the first one I used on my grizzly was an Aloris wedge style. IMHO it is a little large for the lathe it may not seem as out of place on a 7x16. When I got the south bend 9" the axa went on that and I purchased an A2Z for the mini. The A2Z works fine.
Tin

i agree that the Warner's are first class. I bought a theading tool from them and nothing but good things to say about it.

The miromark lathe is kinda the east coast version of the LMS machine. these supped up minis have many improvements over the original Mini lathe longer bed cam lock tail stock, more powerful motor etc.
lathe tooling is not as bad as mill tooling .
get a box of 1/4 bits and learn to grind. IMHO a quick change tool post make life a lot easier. A live center and a drill chuck pretty important as are drill bit. Drill machine bit are nice for limited Z axis machines. but more expensive for some odd reason.

drill bits can be had in different ways. you can just buy the sizes you need but how do you know what sizes as a beginner. tap drill and fraction by a 1/16 will get you by.
or get a good quality 115pc set and you are good. or get a cheap set when you wear out or break them replace with good ones.
Bill what tooling kit are you planning on ordering.

while the kits seem nice they may have stuff you do not need.

this kit looks great at face value but my question is what insert turning facing kit are you getting? it says wood case, which leads me to think import. the good ones Warner CO. come in a plastic box. In my experience the import indexable tool bit holders are not worth having yes I bought the HFT brand. but the Warner's are great.

Hope this helps.
Tin

Latest posts

Back