Bogstandards "Paddleducks" engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At last, a little more shop time.. I got a start on the last bits for the control block. Lapping the valve I think was a lot more effort than it should have been.. I started with a 'just barely won't fit' and went from there. In the process some of the copper piping on the block got a little bent but nothing that can't be tweaked back into place later. Were I to do it again I might consider lapping before soldering on the plumbing to the control block-- less to get in the way.

ControlParts1.jpg

The O-ring I decided on was one with just under a 5/32" ID-- very close to 4mm and by using the formulas in Kozo's New Shay book, a 5/32" shaft should be just about right for a 10% squeeze.

Got the control valve spool fitted and cut. When Bogs says it's going to take a while to get the spool right, he really means it. That's pretty much all I did this evening. I found my ER collet chuck in the lathe to be really handy for this step, both for trimming the spool end and holding it when assembled to test-turn it and work it in.

Sorry, no pictures :( The piping is still askew from the beating it's taken the past few days. A quick anneal and straighten should sort it out.

Roy,

By this time, you are reaching the end of the build, not only should you end up with a well running engine, but you will have a lot more arrows in your quiver.

It looks to be a monstrous engine to build, but is rather easy if you follow the instructions. You should now be able to look at much more complicated builds without the fear maybe you once had.

Very well done indeed, you should be proud of yourself.

Blogs

Thanks John.. it's been fun, educational, and a great way to get the hang of my new mill.

Here's where we are today-- made an arabesque lubricator to go with the general theme, though I think the top and bottom pips may be a little out of character.

With that, all the parts are made! I'll need to get some more 5/32" tubing to complete the exhaust if I ever want to run it on steam (why do I always run out of such things right after the stores closed on Saturday, leaving me to suffer through to Monday :mad:). Steam may be a while yet anyway, so I'll probably take another spare flange (make extras, John says! ;)) and make an air intake with some sort of in-line drip oiler.

Now it mostly needs a whole lot of elbow grease, sanding and polishing.. :p

WithLub.jpg

Wonderful Roy. You have turned a generally available engine into one that you can call unique, purely because you have put your own personal artistic stamp on it.

One (or a few) good piece(s) at a time, and you got to where you needed to be.

You can still drip feed on air with the steam luber fitted, it won't cause you any problems, but of course, it won't work as it should without steam either.

Leave the luber as it is, it came from your imagination at a certain point in the build, so it must be right, no matter what you think of it now.

Blogs

That's a real nice looking engine Roy.

Been following the build with interest, I like the arabesque finishing touches.

Will you show a video of it running ?.

Have fun

Stew

Hi shred
That's a wonderfull engine,i like the touches you have added to it, great work :bow: :bow: :bow:
Regards Rob

Finally got some video--

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Se-6AZFyH70[/ame]

Shred

Way to go! All the work bending tubing was worth it, looks great!

Cheers, Joe

That's really cool, Shred! Runs really great.
I can't believe that's only 5 PSI.

Congratulations!

Great looking engine Shred, Where did you get your 5/32 copper tubing?

I have not been able to locate any locally yet. Not thru looking yet either.

Drilled my steam chests for the 1/4 valve and goofed up and reamed them before I drilled the rest of the holes. I hope they will clean up by running the reamer thru again after the holes are drilled.

Ron

Very nice work, Shred.

Chuck

ozzie46 said:
Great looking engine Shred, Where did you get your 5/32 copper tubing?

I have not been able to locate any locally yet. Not thru looking yet either.

Drilled my steam chests for the 1/4 valve and goofed up and reamed them before I drilled the rest of the holes. I hope they will clean up by running the reamer thru again after the holes are drilled.

Ron
The 5/32" tubing was in one of those K&S Metal racks at a local hobby store (I found it in the 1/8" tubing slot jumbled with the 1/8". Lazy stockers, it pays to check them all). I seem to remember reaming those holes before drilling and tapping too. At least I vaguely remember something of the sort, and in any case I had to clean up those threads with the tap again after polishing and ran the reamer through hand-held and hand-turned one more time.

ksours-- I was surprised how low pressure it would run (so much so I videotaped the regulator pressure gauge on one run). O-ringing the pistons seemed to help a lot (the noise in the video is my compressor and the air leak on that regulator, not the engine)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYmAee9Vmnk[/ame]

That is a rel real credit to you Roy.

You have persevered and made a totally unique engine, even though it was from 'plans', there will never be one exactly the same as yours.

Very well done indeed. It has been a pleasure and joy watching your journey.

For those that are making small engines, and do make mistakes, do not despair.

I am just doing a small article on another site about the rescue of a very badly built engine (not by me), and if you are fairly competant at silver soldering, shows just how easy you can bring something back from the dead. It could save you having to remake a very complicated part.

http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=1370.0

Blogs.

Latest posts

Back