Bogstandards "Paddleducks" engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shred,

A unique and lovely engine. :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Very nice little engine Shred - Well Done !!

Regards, Arnold

Looks and runs fantastic!

great job.

Kevin.

Nice running engine and some real neat finishing touches to it.

Great job, Shred

Here's one for Carl. ::) Most of the time when we mis-make a part it gets flung into a dark corner of the shop or straight into scrap bin, but this time I put most (there's a fair bit more malformed bits of copper tube flung somewhere) of them back into the engine project bin, so, when cleaning out the bin, I pulled out the unused, defective, off-size, temporary, and just plain ugly parts-that-didn't-make-the-final-cut. "Always make extras.." The Bogster says... ;) Wise advice.

Rejects.JPG

shred said:
Here's one for Carl.

"Always make extras.." The Bogster says... ;)

Hey thanks Shred. :big:

Until one can make 'good' parts...one must be proud of the 'less than good' parts. After all...there are many who make 'no parts'.

My only question...'Always make extras..'...of what? Nah. Don't answer that. Doesn't matter. :)

My only question...'Always make extras..'...of what? Nah. Don't answer that. Doesn't matter.

Everything matters if you don't understand it.

If say you needed to make six identical parts for an engine, and each part needed a few operations to make it. Then it is always preferable to make one or two extras while you have the machine set up to do it, rather than bugger one up a little further down the line, after they are finished, and having to go back and redo all the setups just to make another one.
As long as the parts being made aren't going to break the bank in material costs, then it is much better to have to throw a few machined parts into the recycle box, rather than trying to go back and match up a new one if you do make a mistake later in the build.

Blogs

zeeprogrammer said:
Hey thanks Shred. :big:

Until one can make 'good' parts...one must be proud of the 'less than good' parts. After all...there are many who make 'no parts'.

My only question...'Always make extras..'...of what? Nah. Don't answer that. Doesn't matter. :)
As you get better, your standards get better, but I bet you ask any modelmaker and they can point out a screwup on the most perfect-looking engine they've made. ;)

Like Bogs says, extras are good for multiple parts. If it's a one-off, there's not generally much point making an extra. For things like the tubing flanges, I could have used a couple more of them; not because the first 6 were bad, but to make additional intake and exhaust pipework. If I'd had an extra crank web, I could have saved a bunch of dinking around trying to save one when the drill pulled through on it and/or ditched the one with the ugly saw cut (nearly impossible to see, but it's there). Fiddly things like packing glands you could pick the best 2 out of 3 instead of making do with only two.... and so on. I like trying to 'save' parts that have mistakes in them, but at some point it's just easier to make a new one, doubly so if you've got a partly-made spare on hand.

Also, when you kill one of your extras, hang onto it. Just mark it as a "setup piece" and do the first operation of each following step on that part first. That way you're not using up an extra with every mistake.

It's far easier to run an extra part or two, starting from step one, than to ruin a part at the last step and need to go back through every setup you've used, to get the replacement part caught up.

For many years I went to various model engineering shows. At most shows there are "Do not Touch" signs everywhere. I always took so of my extra parts with me so people could pick them up and play with them. Remember, to the non machinist or novice who is just thinking about building an engine, even simple parts are "magic" to them. It does not matter if a crank journal is 0.005 under size to them. It can't be seen with the naked eye, so to them it is perfect.

It is amazing what the simple act of holding a part can do to the mind of a ten or twelve year old youngster. And it is even worse for a thirty or forty year old youngster. I kept the parts in a bin near the front of the display with a sign encouraging them to play with them. Sometimes I would give away a few parts to people who asked the right questions. For me this was a big part of going to shows.

Gail in NM,USA

My question 'Why make extra parts' was meant as a joke but apparently was a poor one that took the topic off thread a bit. I apologize for that.

On the other hand, it resulted in some very handy tips and excellent comments.

In particular, Gail's comments. Some of my first practice pieces (small turned cylinders) sit on my desk at work. When people come by my desk...they can't help themselves...they pick them up and start asking questions.

Latest posts

Back