BMW style horizontally opposed twin

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebush

Reaction score
I'm sure by now almost every engines been made as a model. As the old saying goes " You have to walk before you can run ". I just finished my first Elmer's engine so It would be way down the road before I'd consider trying a build like that. Plus I need to learn alot more machining techniques. I am well versed in the full sized engines particularly the Airheads from the early 60's thru the end of production in 1995. Currently I'm rebuilding a 1965 R50/2. And since the engine is completely reassembled and on the work stand I started looking at it from a different perspective. It wouldn't be too hard to scale this down to a model size. The oil gallies would have to go and some tubing with nozzles would suffice. Just wondering if anyone has built, or knows someone that's built a BMW style motorcycle engine. Just a random thought. Roger

Yes it has ! It was a build thread here....somewhere......

Do a search ...and be a bit patient and perservere. It's in here somewhere.

Welcome!

Dave

May I suggest Half Scale? Big enough to get the detail into it and easy to fabricate parts whilst being small enough to make on most machines. I wish I could spend more time on my engine but what I've done so far has given me great pleasure - especially when putting the full size and half size parts next to one another!

Rob.
:)

Back