Air Blast Injection Diesel

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weir-smith

Bruce W-S
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I have made some progress with this engine however, because I am trying to create a high finish to the model (as good a finish within my capabilities) the going has been slow with some parts being made twice. In my last post, I showed that most of the material parts were available which included a number of laser cut parts.

The cylinder is all but complete except for the cam gear which requires special brackets to be made. It is made from a steel outer jacket machined from a section of hollow bar and a cast iron liner.

Cylinder.png

The piston stroke is 80mm long by 48mm in diameter. The overall diameter of the cylinder is 95mm. Note the cylinder oil feed pipes that are located towards the bottom of the cylinder. I intend to replace the existing copper tubing with 1.5 mm which I have managed to locate as it is more in proportion with the original than what I have used. I have also included a photo of the original engine built in 1904 and located in Denmark.

General View of Engine.jpg

The cylinder head is made in two halves to allow water cooling. The valves (eg inlet, exhaust and air start) are contained within cages which is a first for me. The air blast injection valve is made from stainless steel tube and has some 1 mm stainless tube to feed the fuel and air down to the nozzle. This was a better option than to try and drill holes that size 50mm long. It remains to be seen how well it works.

Cylinder Head 2.jpg

The crankshaft is well on the way with the flanges complete and ground to size. The flywheel is also complete and has a finished weight of 8kg. In addition, the base is almost complete in that I just need to complete the bearing housings.

Crank Webs 2.jpg

I have fitted temporary pieces of shaft to see how everything fitted.

Flywheel.jpg

The next item to tackle is the engine trunk which will need to be fabricated from several parts. The other component that I have to come to grips with is the compressor which needs to produce 800 psi and not destroy itself. The main problem as I understand is controlling the temperature through heat exchangers. I have never tried to construct one before so it will be interesting.

I have included a few other photos of the build.

Bruce W-S

Crank Webs being ground.jpg

Engine Base.jpg

Latest posts

Back