Birk Petersen passed away

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mnay

Reaction score
Fellow modelers,
I wanted to pass this along and did not know if this was the place to put this. Many of you will know of Birk and his work.

Birk James Petersen, 82, collector, restoration craftsman, builder of scale models, and appreciator of old mechanical things passed away Wednesday, November 25, 2015 at UVRMC due to complications from surgery.

Birk loved building steam engines, small scale models, and whimsical creations of his own imagination. He loved showing his amazing collection to visitors. Some of Birk's favorite visitors were kids, he enjoyed watching their enthusiasm as they turned cranks, got their hair to stand on end, and dumped out a whole scoop of candy from the steam shovel. He loved handing out slips of paper with his blog to everyone he met. http://birkpetersens.blogspot.com

He authored many articles in the Magazines we are familiar with. He will be greatly missed by me and his many friends around the world
Mike Nay

Last edited:
Thank you for letting us know . Birk is a member here and Used the moniker Oldmechthings. He did not post a lot but many great projects were posted. I did not really know him but enough to see he was a great craftsman.

He was a great asset to this forum and to the model engineering community. Please pass our condolences on to his family.

I would request that you and his other friends work together with the family to document his work and put together a bio. then submit a package to the internet craftsmanship museum.
details on submission here :http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/newsubmit.htm
IMHO a great way to honor him and help people remember him and his work. You may even want to make arrangements with the museum to get some of the physical pieces on display.

I have had the pleasure of meeting several of the craftsmen that are featured in the internet craftsmanship museum. George Luhrs, Rudy Kuhoupt and George Britnell com to mind.
Tin

Back