Beveling Fixture

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

putputman

Reaction score
Having finished the build on the three Associated engines I now have to paint the engines & build bases or carts for them. This involves working with wood and I have little patients with that brown stuff. My brother cut and planed some oak for a cart that I will make. I felt I needed to either radius or bevel all the corners on the wood for looks, safety, or just to prevent splintering. This is just another operation that I dreaded. I do have much in the way of wood working tools so figured I better make use what I have. Milling machine, vise, end mill cutters, etc.

This is what I came up with and it worked out very well. To prevent damaging the wood in any way I used a piece of Delrin for the guide block. It is nothing more than a Delrin V-block mounted on an aluminum plate and clamped in the mill vise.

A quick lick with sandpaper and the job is done.

Bevel On Wood.JPG

End View.JPG

Back View.JPG

In Vise.JPG

A mill is a great machine for woodwork. You can achieve much higher accuracy than with wood working tools and it is easy to take a roughing cut and then a finish cut instead of a single cut as usually done on shapers. If you have a lot to do, raise your spindle speed to about 10K by putting a big pulley on the motor.

Latest posts

Back