BEGINNER - Where do I start?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks lads, I appreciate all the help.

Dave, the checks you mentioned - they are jargon to me.

You guys are right that I should not rush into it. My dream may turn out to be a nightmare.

I think I should only consider the new models of 7x10, 7x12 and 7x14. Should be able to find one of these for about £350.

Thanks again

Gazatteer,

Good, your listening anyway ;D....I think you could do worse than a 7x14. There are many out there and a lot of online forums and groups dedicated to them. Lots of people who have already gone down the road your on, and can give advice, not only on machining, but machining with THAT lathe. I also think you could get most of what you paid for it back if you sell it.

With it you will also get an education. An Education that will require work and patience. YOU supply that, no one else can.

If you look at the work of gbritnel and jason and many others on this board, you see sustained effort, not only in making parts, but more importantly, in learning HOW to make parts.

With any new lathe, there will be some expense in tools and accessories for it. Don't begrudge them. They are part of the education.

This is a journey, not a destination. This is a grown up concept, and I can promise you it takes work and effort.

Welcome aboard and best of luck to you on making chips and cool stuff. We here at HMEM will be glad to guide you if we can. The limit of this "passion" is up to you.

Warm Regards,

Dave

PS....by the way, I started out with a dunlop AA109 with no graduations on the dial, no quick change and a 3" 3 jaw chuck that was clapped out and near useless. I paid an outrageous amount of money for it to boot :big:. I built a vertical steam engine with it, and I still have it. Back 25 years ago, I had no internet or clubs of any kind. If you go with the 7x14, stick with this forum, and put the effort in, you will be off to a WAAAAAAAAY better start than I was. Eat the elephant one bite at a time... ;D

Sent you a PM regarding a good book....read up. ;D

Dave

Thank you Dave, this is very constructive advice.

I have received your PM will definitely read it.

Thanks all

:D

Firstly, I apologise for going against all the advice that I have received in this forum.

Secondly, I have purchased my first lathe, MYFORD ML7. It cost me £210 + £60 (pickup). It includes self centering 3 jaw chuck, independent 4 jaw chuck, 2 face plates, steady and many other cutting tools. Also, I got a grinder and a vice included within the price.

Total cost £270

Why did I go against the HMEM member's advice?
Firstly, I appreciate all the valuable advice that I received.
Secondly, I have been searching for a lathe on ebay for over a month now. I have noticed that MYFORD ML7s have been selling for about £500 on average and I think I am yet to see a MYFORD ML7 lathe selling for less than £400. Even a MYFORD ML7 lathe in a really bad condition, being sold for spares or repairs, sold for £255+pickup costs http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140493869012&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

For this reason I thought I may as well buy it and even if I come to selling it then I won't make any loss.

The lathe is in working condition, seem OK to my novice eyes. The only thing is that the handle on the toolpost has snapped and it seems easy repair (I think).

Also, I have found a workshop place. A friend of mine owns a car garage and he has given me the permission to setup a lathe in his garage. Cool.

Next step, get/make a workbench.

Myford Lathe 001.jpg

Myford Lathe 002.jpg

Myford Lathe 008.jpg

Myford Lathe 012.jpg

Nice solid looking lathe gazatteer! I always thought an ML7 would be fun to play with, but they've gotten very dear on this side of the pond. The toolpost nut looks like a great first project, it's always satisfying to repair/upgrade your own tooling.

Oh, and enjoy your new lathe! Thm:

Cheers

Jeff

great deal on a great machine. if your happy with your new toy that's all that matters, well done congrats to you.

wayne ;)

You got yourself a great deal there, gazeteer, ml7 s have a great reputation there still seems to be a great demand for them. But please be careful never to leave the chuck key in the chuck, they are a deadly missile if you forget and turn the lathe on! :)

You got yourself a great, GREAT deal there, gazeteer, my ML7 has served me well for 30+ years and I see no reason it won't keep going for another 30. Cost me $1000au way back then and had no chucks or motor. Gloat, my friend, gloat hard!

Thanks lads,

The previous owner told me to bolt it down on a stand/benchwork before switching it on so I have not yet switched it on. I am looking to get build a benchwork for the lathe as the original Myford stands for the ML7 cost too much (£350 on ebay and the lathe itself didn't cost me that).

I am looking to build my own stand for the ML7, probably entirely out of wood or steal or combination of both. I have googled for diy stand but not much information for diy lathe stands. A stand made out of just the wood may not be a good option because of humidty factor since the lathe is in a cold mechanic's garage. Probably, steal legs with wood top may be a good option but to be true I am not sure what to go with.

What are your opinion on making a diy stand for Myford ML7 lathe or any mini lathe?

Thanks

Won't matter much what you make a stand out of, as long as it is solid and strong, and the surface is flat and level. Originally mine was set up on an old chest of drawers, but has moved to a purpose built stand - 2 1/2" angle, pipe, heavy MDF covered with flat gal.

Hey, nice machine, for a nice price ! Surely it had a hard life before but that should not matter to much. Before you turn it on you should also get the 'lubrication' plan for this type of myford, it looks like it was missing some oil for quite a while. Most likely some myford owner from this forum can help you out with that. For the stand, don't worry too much, a solid, straight bench, maybe with a sheet-metal trough will do it.

In the near future you will probably miss a 'zeroable' graduated collar for the cross slide and some other stuff you can get at myford.com ;)

cheers
christoph

Hi Gazatter,

Well...good for you. Have at it, I hope you learn a great deal and have a lot of fun with your new lathe!

Don't skimp on the materials for the bench. Make the top nice and thick.

Post lot's of pictures here, and check out that Myford Web site. That was a good find there fcheslop.

Dave

Exacly like Tel's my lathe started out atop a chest of drawers - eventually replaced with a 40 sq. steel tube bench topped by two layers of 16mm MDF glued together - I didn't put on a galvanised iron top plate (good idea) but used epoxy sealers / coatings and its standing up just fine.

Ken

Back