• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Beauty of a Hardinge / Bridgeport Mill available

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tater

Reaction score
I'm posting this here as it's not something I'm selling, but thought others in the NJ/NY/CT (US) might be interested - looks to be in very nice shape with very good tolerances - not sure if the price is right?

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/tls/3002216960.html
5L75Gc5Mf3M43o13N7c575ef9025c9e381e6d.jpg

5Lf5If5G83Kb3L23m3c573c4a2123cc3a193b.jpg

This older Hardinge horizontal mill was converted to a vertical machine by adding a Bridgeport M-Head in place of the over-arm (the original horizontal spindle is present, but non-operational). The machine was just professionally rebuilt after sitting unused for a good many years and is available for inspection under power in East Hanover.
-Completely dissassembled, refurbished, and repainted
-Ways and table ground, squared, and scraped to meet or exceed factory tolerances
-Table is true to within .0005"
-Servo power table feed installed
-Complete collet set included with purchase

An excellent machine for a tool and die maker, home shop, model maker, etc...You can't buy a new machine of comparable quality for this price. E-mail or call Garden State Machine Tool Service Co at 973-952-0090.

Just thought I'd pass it along.

Can't understand why they go to all this trouble to recondition a machine with limited travels, the weakest of the Bridgeport heads and then not connect the horizontal drive.
Personally I can't see one plus in this machines against the negatives ?

John S.

John Stevenson said:
Can't understand why they go to all this trouble to recondition a machine with limited travels, the weakest of the Bridgeport heads and then not connect the horizontal drive.

They didn't really need the original horizontal drive as they mounted a Servo drive. Besides, they say the original horizontal drive isn't functioning and without it I don't think you'd have the power feed (assuming an early failure point).

Personally I can't see one plus in this machines against the negatives ?

The Hardinge horizontal mill is OK in the original configuration and becomes a light bench mill with a decent vertical head. But $4800 would be way too much for one with a nonfunctioning horizontal drive and an oversize M head - you could buy a decent vertical mill in good nick for that and have twice the travels.

Nice condition machine. Seems a little high a price, but might be fair for the condition.

Shame he mounted the M-Head so low, as he lost 3-4” of vertical headroom. Headroom on these mills with the standard vertical head has not proven to be a problem for me to date, but it sure would be if I had to give up another 3-4”. Most M-Head conversions I’ve seen mount the head to a thick plate that positions the head roughly 6” higher than on this guy’s mill. I would like to get an M-Head for mine at some point, so I have a quill (for drilling angled holes) and a ram (throat depth gets a little limiting at times if I’m using small bits in collets).

I’m guessing with this machine having an M-Head and a servo feed that it may be lacking the original spindle motor, so it may not have an ability to drive the horizontal head. I am sure the servo feed is much more convenient to use than the mechanical feed. I seldom use my mechanical feed, as I can’t be bothered moving belts to adjust feed rate. Perhaps I am spoiled with my lathe where I can independently adjust spindle speed and feed rates on the fly.

It is interesting reading what others say of these UM-TM mills in this thread. From my vantage point, I am so glad I chose one of these mills over a Chinese mill of similar or somewhat higher price. I feel even more passionate about that decision with the lathe. The mill is good, but the lathe is truly amazing to use. I don’t have experience using any other mills, but these mills are quite rigid and easy to achieve great precision.

Robin

ps - I just took another look at the photos. It definitely is missing the original spindle motor, so the horizontal spindle is unuseable. That is a bit of a shame. That would likely also explain why he stripped off all the mechanical feed components and went with a servo feed.

Same comments from me. For the money you could get a great BP with way more capacity...

Just sayin

Dave

Put a milling vise on the table & a drill chuck in the spindle & whats left in the "Z" ??

Is the horizontal spindle drive completely disabled?

Around here I see Bridgeports selling for $ 1,500.00 some have DRO's & power feed.

Its clean!

I know Rick....but geez, for the money it's a "whole lot of feathers and not much chicken!"

Dave

Latest posts

Back