Ball Bearing Question

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vcutajar

Reaction score
Yesterday I went out to buy ball bearing of a particular size and wanted it open ended (without shields). I could only find ball bearings with rubber shields. So I bought it and removed the rubber shields but today I could not help thinking that I might have compromised the bearing by taking the shields out.

Does it effect the bearing properties if the rubber shields are removed?

Thanks in advance for any reponses.

Vince

Removing the seals for unsealed applications (where lube is present) is common practice - I've done it many times.
I have often had the bearing supplier remark "We've only got those in sealed - just remove the seals."

Apart from damaging the cage or bearing surfaces in the process of removing the seals.

It seems most bearing suppliers only keep 2Z or 2RS variants on this basis.

Ken

Thanks. You put my mind at rest.

I bought it from a local bearing importer and as Ken said, when I asked for the open ended version, he just said, "Remove the rubber seals".

I was a sales tech for a bearing supplier for 10 years.

Hundreds of seals and shields were popped off during those years to meet customer's
special requirements.

You might need to wash the grease out of the previously sealed bearing with clean solvent
then re-wash it a couple times with light machine oil to be sure all of the solvent removed
and the bearing is re-lubricated.

Rick

Latest posts

Back