AVAILABILITY OF TAPERED BALL MILLS?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pete

Reaction score
Title basicly says it all, I'm going to start very soon on a Sanderson beam engine machined from cast iron plate and bar stock ( No castings are available in the size I'm building 1/8 scale). Anyway to duplicate the look of castings I need to have at least a 3 degree draft angle with a radius at the bottom, So that's the problem.

I thought these would be fairly easy to obtain, as I think they would be commanly used in tool and die work, Tapered end mills are common but no tapered ball mills that I can find, I've checked MSC, KBC canada and u.s., PENN TOOLS and so far no luck. So anybody know if they are even made? Here's what I'm looking for.
American made solid carbide.
3 degree taper per side.
1/16 -1/8 radius on ball end.
A supplier willing to ship to Canada.

Pete

Pete,
They are a stock item with most distributors. I used quite a variety of them when I was doing some injection molds and got them from MSC.

Go to MSC page 604 at MSCDirect.com and you will see that there are two columns for the tapered end mill. One for straight end and one for ball end. That page is the start of the carbide ones. They also have HSS in another section.

When doing searches, just search for tapered end mills and watch for the second column regarding the end style.

I have bought them from other distributors also, but not for a while.

Gail in NM,USA

WMarco, GailinNM : THANK YOU VERY MUCH, Can't beleave how fast I got an answer, But still can't understand how i missed seeing them from MSC, I gotta be going blind. Again thank you.

Pete

Latest posts

Back