AutoCAD 2000i and printer

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

10K Pete

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
I run AutoCAD 2000i in WIN7 and recently purchased a Brother MFC-J6920DW printer. The 'puter is a Dell laptop working through our wireless LAN to the printer. I'm OK with printing from other applications but can't seem to find the right stuff for 2000i.

The printer driver is, of course, not in AutoCAD 2000i. I have been searching a bit but I'm becoming confused....I'm not a computer guy. I'm not sure I'd recognize the right stuff if I saw it!!

Can anyone here help me find and install the driver to make this set-up work? I need instructions in very basic terms, please....

Thanks,
Pete

[QUOTE
The printer driver is, of course, not in AutoCAD 2000i. I have been searching a bit but I'm becoming confused....I'm not a computer guy. I'm not sure I'd recognize the right stuff if I saw it!!
Pete[/QUOTE]
What is the problem when you are printing??????
your computer don't care what you print??

If AutoCAD can't see (or find) the printer then you can't print from AutoCAD. Like any other program. The problems seems to be, and we're still sorting this out, that the printer driver needs to be installed directly on my computer, in an AutoCAD area yet to be discovered, and not just any where else!! This AutoCAD is 16 years old and is probably not nearly as smart as even 10 year old stuff. Anyway, we're just pluggin' along until we figure it out....

Thanks,
Pete

G'Day Pete,
It has been a while since I used this version of ACad, but this may be worth a try.
At the command line type plottermanager as one word.
This should open a window that enables you to pick; any of the printer/plotter drivers installed on the computer. If you have an option to pick "Add A Plotter Wizard". This will open the Add a Plotter dialogue box. Follow the prompts that suit your situation to install the required driver. Make sure that you give the printer a slightly different name to that used by Windows. Hope this helps.
Regards,
Don.

Hello,

Well, it would seem the fault is in AutoCAD somewhere. The "Add A Plotter Wizard" sees the new printer..... but won't work with it because the "name" of the printer has more than 31 characters!!! But even then the Wizard quits working, because of some 'error' that is as yet unknown, dumping out of the screen leaving one to start all over...... :mad:

So the pursuit continues!!! Fortunately, if I really need to print, I can export the drawing to the PDF Creator, email it to my self, an print it from there...:wall:

Pete

It's been awhile since I wrestled with those issues with older versions of AutoCad. No one has mentioned this, but I seem to have had to wrestle with the printer/plotter wizard looking for a printer only on an LPT (Parallel) Port. A patch was needed for network or USB connected printers. I do also remember the printer naming issues.

'Just thinking of random stuff.

--ShopShoe

Hello,

Well, it would seem the fault is in AutoCAD somewhere. The "Add A Plotter Wizard" sees the new printer..... but won't work with it because the "name" of the printer has more than 31 characters!!!
Pete

Pete

you can't use Plotter wizard if you are printing.
select a printer you want and it should work just fine.
if you can see the printer then use scale 1/1 and center it
it will help the printer finding your info

my 2 cents

Back