"ARMETALE" for Castings?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BronxFigs

Reaction score
A company named "WILTON" has been making decorative plates, serving trays, candle sticks, platters, pitchers, creamers, etc. for years. You can find their products in stores that sell dinnerware and gift-wares. These items are made from an Aluminum-type material known as "ARMETALE". Most of these items are made to simulate to look of antique Pewter.

This "ARMETALE" seems to be stronger, and more scratch-resistant than ordinary Aluminum. I occasionally find this material in scrap yards, and was wondering if it would make good castings for model engines?

Any thoughts?

Frank

A company named "WILTON" has been making decorative plates, serving trays, candle sticks, platters, pitchers, creamers, etc. for years. You can find their products in stores that sell dinnerware and gift-wares. These items are made from an Aluminum-type material known as "ARMETALE". Most of these items are made to simulate to look of antique Pewter.

This "ARMETALE" seems to be stronger, and more scratch-resistant than ordinary Aluminum. I occasionally find this material in scrap yards, and was wondering if it would make good castings for model engines?

Any thoughts?

Frank

It is hard to say because the exact nature of the alloy is apparently a secret. It might not hurt to stock up on know pieces of this alloy to experiment with. The problem is it appears that old pieces are the only way to get a stock of this metal.

If you did use this metal, your models would end up looking like Pewter. That could be interesting.

Wiz69:

Thanks for the quick answer.

This alloy must be some kind of Aluminum mixture formulated by Wilton, to be used for foods, and drinks. Probably non-toxic, non-tarnishing, and acid-resistant to vinegar, and citrus. Castings made from this stuff...instant, vintage look.

Utility items, and gift-wares made from this alloy cost a fortune in stores. Scrapyards sell it by the pound, at Aluminum prices, but you gotta to look around for it. I guess one would have to try it to know whether or not it makes good castings.

Frank

Nambé (/nɑːmˈbeɪ/[1]) is an eight-metal alloy whose major component is aluminum. It was developed in 1953 by Martin Eden, a former metallurgist at the Los Alamos National Laboratory. The alloy is exclusively produced by the Nambé Mills, Inc., which was founded in 1951 near Nambé Pueblo, some 10 miles north of Santa Fe, New Mexico. Because Nambé's alloy is a trade secret, the Nambé company does not divulge the rest of the formula. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has declared Nambé safe for cooking and serving.
Similar metal alloys are Carson's Statesmetal and Wilton Armetale.
So similar, but not equal. Also a trade secret.

Thank-you for the very interesting background history about these Aluminum alloys used for food service, etc. I find it even more interesting that the composition of these alloys has remained elusive, if not secret, after all these years. I'm totally naive about these kind of things but I thought patents expire after a certain length of time, and then the products/inventions are up for grabs. Or do certain formulations, alloys etc, remain protected? Evidently, that must be the case with these alloys.

I guess what really matters is whether these alloys can be exploited for the use in casting engine parts, etc. Having slices of melon served on a chilled, Ametale serving dish is real nice, but, using that dish to make engine castings is even nicer. The women-folk may not be too happy. Happy wife, happy life..... Of course, this would only be possible if these service dishes, platters etc. are sold as cheap scrap.

Thanks for the new information.

Frank

Frank

Frank buy some 7075 cast jig plate and make some parts already.
Tin

Latest posts

Back