Are these good equipment choices?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffF

Reaction score
As mentioned in my previous post, I'm REALLY new at this, but I have done some pretty in-depth research on equipment. The Little Machine Shop site has been very helpful. At this point, I am leaning toward the Microlux 84631 7X16 Mini-lathe and the Microlux 84630 milling machine. I have bought hobby supplies from Micro Mark in the past with good success and they have a sale on now.

Am I making a good choice with these?

Jeff

Those machines or their close cousins are fairly popular machines for the Home model machining hobby. the newer premium machines from LMS and MM have better features and need less upgrades and mods than the older ones.
I started out with similar machines a grizzly 7x10 and a MM x-2 mill still have them both.
Sounds like you have done your homework and made a choice . Half the battle to getting started.
Tin

Those machines from MicroMark or the HighTorque cousins from Little Machine Shop would be good choices. Are you looking at them because of price or the size of your work area? I have done quite a few things with my 7x10, but most of the time I really would like something bigger in a lathe. The X2 size mill is a good size and I have been able to do quite a bit with it. A long way from a Bridgy, but still very capable.

Yes, size is an issue. I plan to stay in this range going forward. My hobby to this point (for the last 40 years) was restoring pinball machines, so something smaller than 240 pound monsters in the basement shop will be nice. Getting too old to move those things around any more. Have always wanted to do machining because I like detail work and really appreciate the beauty of the steam engine models when they are done right. Hopefully, I will get to that skill level at some point!

Jeff

I have a MicroLux Milling machine and I'm very satisfied with it, it is an upgraded chinese milling machine similar to those found at Grizzly, Harbor Freight and other importers. This machine has a belt drive and a nice speed control. I'm not very happy with the tilting column feature and that's why I'd go for the LMS milling machine with the rigid column if I had the chance to change my milling machine. LMS has a special sale these days with the chance of having a full refund of the cost of the milling machine as the first prize of a LMS's sweepstakes. I've purchased things and tools from both LMS and Micromark and I'm very happy with the products and the service. Either you choose LMS or MicroMark as your supplier I think that you'll have nice machine in your shop.

I have a Microlux 7x14. I consider it one of the best of the minilathes. Mine has been upgraded further, with lost of mods - ball-bearings in the leadscrew supports etc.
I have just about every available accessory for it.
Still even when I am doing work that is well within the envelope of that minilathe, I almost always opt for one of the larger lathes, such as a South Bend 9".
You don't appreciate how much difference the extra mass makes until you experience it.
I would also consider something a little bigger. There was an 8x14 lathe sold by HF and others in recent years that was much more lathe but only a little bigger footprint. I passed one up locally last week for $350.
That said, plenty of fine work is done with minilathes.

On the minimill, it's a great machine, but they really do require some teaking and alignment. You will spend some time on it if your work requires any sort of precision.
If you just need to hog metal out and cut recesses and such, it's useful right out of the box.

If you want something a little more capable, be sure to look at the X3 and similar milling machines, from the same sources.
The 6x26 benchtop knee mills are also a contender, but quite a bit more expensive. Watch Craigslist

Thanks to everyone who responded with such great information. You have all been very helpful. I know this new hobby is going to be a challenge for me and having access to the knowledgable folks here is going to be invaluable. It is wonderful that you folks share your knowledge so freely!

Jeff

Some times I think that somebody should have warned me about what I was getting into when I decided to start with model engineering has a hobby. I've spent a lot of money on my mini lathe and mini mill and some times to manfacture a single piece is so damn difficult that I'm on the verge of frustration and thinking about posting all the shop on e-bay. Nevertheless I always come back to cut metal and that makes me happy because I can notice that I'm improving my skills. So Jeff, you have an idea of what to expect but I'm sure that reallity will be bigger than your expectations, both on challenge and satisfaction, so keep on, this is fun!

Some times I think that somebody should have warned me about what I was getting into when I decided to start with model engineering has a hobby. I've spent a lot of money on my mini lathe and mini mill and some times to manfacture a single piece is so damn difficult that I'm on the verge of frustration and thinking about posting all the shop on e-bay. Nevertheless I always come back to cut metal and that makes me happy because I can notice that I'm improving my skills. So Jeff, you have an idea of what to expect but I'm sure that reallity will be bigger than your expectations, both on challenge and satisfaction, so keep on, this is fun!

I used to feel the same way and would 10 years ago when I started out. I tried and tried to learn on my own for 4 or 5 years before that as well and always felt frustrated. I then went and took some night classes at the local college and learned more in a semester than I learned on my own in 4 years! I love the machining hobby and the ability to actually finish a part to dimension is wonderful. All that I can say is keep at it and Get some help from a knowledgeable person close to you. Regards DON :)

Latest posts

Back