Anyone interested in clock making?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1 rpm if he just has the hour hand that would be ever slower ::) ::)

can I have 1 with 25 hrs in a day that would give me 1 hr more here

great idea Im sure we could all learns lots from it

instead of a spring how about a steam powered watch Rof}

Wayne

wmf138 said:
can I have 1 with 25 hrs in a day that would give me 1 hr more here

Wayne

That will probably be what my first clock does when I finish it. :big:

And yes as mine will only have an hour hand providing I make it right it will be do 0.000694 RPM
I think that will have a chance of winning the slowest RPM contest.

Hi Tmuir,

Just had a look around the site quoted. If you are thinking of making the Wall Clock, they are very attractive. If I remember right, that one was serialised in ME (20 yrs ago ??). A late friend of mine made one. Seem to remember something called a Wallingford (?) escapement. Bit beyond me, those things. Very nice though.

Was thinking of of making a pun along the lines of 'not enough patience, too short a fusee, I guess' but I won't. Too many on this thread already ... ;D

Dave

Edit sorry I got it wrong, it was the 'Weight Driven Brass Alarm Clock' he made. Should have looked closer ???

I've seen that clock when I visited Canada in 1997, got photos of it somewhere

Tony

Continue, please. Clocks are fascinating and probably more important to the development of our world than steam engines. I'd love to think that building a clock was within my capabilities, but I doubt it. After all, if an engine runs at all, its an engine, but if a clock doesn't keep accurate time, its not really a clock.

The heart of all clocks, is the escapement and the various methods if ticking off intervals really interesting. The rest of it is just gears and bearings (I think). Keep us posted on your progress.

Jerry

Tell me about taking a hobby and making a job out of it that is what I did ended up working seven days a week trying to make ends meet got burned out take my advice keep it a hobby it is hard to make it if you don't sell a lot of clocks and try to rely on just repairs you end up seeing your self coming and going. Cliff

The Home Shop Machinist had a series on building a skeleton clock by W.R. (Bill) Smith.

I'll dig through my stack tomorrow to see if I can find what year that was.

Bernd

Edited August 19. The start of the article was in Nov/Dec 1993 Home Shop Machinist and ran for 11 articles.

ME also has plans for a skeleton clock but I'm aiming for something simpler first.
If I get that right then I wil try something harder.
I would actually like to build a fusee clock one day.

Back