Anybody had any dealings with this person

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgarrett

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ran across a set of plans for a small DIY rotary table that I like. They are located at http://lautard.com. He seems OK but would like to hear from someone who has dealt with him, especially the little rotary table.
Thanks,
Julian G.

Guy Lautard is a good guy and an inspired writer. His series of three "Machinist's Bedside Reader" books belong in every hobbyist's library. You won't go wrong buying anything from him.

I presume that you're aware that his RT design does not include the typical worm gear drive and, as such, can't be used for many milling jobs that would normally be done on an RT. It's more of a "rotatable workholder" than a true RT. If that's what you're looking for, I'm sure you'll find Guy's design satisfactory. Also, at 3.75" diameter, it's quite small - even a modest sized part will leave no room for clamps.

I've purchased the plans you mention from Guy. The service was fast and problem free (admittedly we both live here in British Columbia). Marv's comment deserves consideration - there is no worm gear.

Garry

I've bought stuff from him and had occasional email correspondence; I never had any trouble and was always impressed by his straight dealing.

I met him at my Dad's woodworkers guild, Great guy and very knowlegable.

Thanks for the replies. That is the kind of information I was hoping for.
Yes, I realize that it is small and gearless. I have a 6" Phase II but I need something for use as a small work holder and I do plan on scaling it up to 4-1/2". Also most of my use will be using a 3" chuck. I will order plans tomorrow!!
Thanks,
Julian G.

Julian,
I don't want to appear negative here but with something as simple as this do you need plans ?

We have the internet for pictures and ideas, we have forums for help from like minded people, why do we need to be tied to an actual set of plans for something so simple.
You say you need to scale up so you are halfway there.

Now this isn't aimed at you but recently someone on another forum posted a picture of a rear tool holder, just a block of metal with a slot cut in it for a tool and 3 clamp screws.

So some Herbert comes gushing up do you have a drawing for this ???WTF ??

It's a block of metal with a slot and three screw holes the bottom of the slot is determined by your lathe, not any drawing.

You can't but drawings for everything you make, take that 'rotatable workholder' does it have a bearing in in, does you scrap box have ant bearings?
Can it index in steps for hexagons etc? do you have a scrap gear in your scrap box you can build one out of.

If Guy Lautard can ' design' one you can improve on it.

Rant over and no it wasn't related to you but every beginner, learn to think and you will climb that beginners hill faster.

JS.

Here's an article describing a miniature combination rotary table and faceplate I built.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=25318

No plans are available. I built it all according to the "form follows function" plan.
As John indicates, doing so allowed me to introduce some personally desirable features that wouldn't have been available via commercial plans.

John and Marv, You know, both of you are right. I had already drawn up a set of plans very similar to Marv's design. Basicly a flat plate with a bearing and my 4.5" round bar with a bearing and a .75" shaft set screwed in to form a stop so it would "float just above the plate. I had intended to drill only 12 holes and run a pin thru 2 blocks 90º apart to hold it in place. After looking at Marv's design I am not even sure I need the bearings..I just had them laying around.
Thanks for reminding me to stop and think!!!
Julian G.

Latest posts

Back