Another rocker

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krown Kustoms

Reaction score
Here is the rocker I built to take my mind off my tiny four stroke builf for a while.
-B-

p.s. I lent out my air compressor so I dont know if it runs, it isnt worth getting out the boiler.
I didnt take many pics of this one.

DSC02144.JPG

DSC02151.JPG

DSC02151.JPG

DSC02153.JPG

DSC02153.JPG

DSC02154.JPG

Hope mine looks half as good as yours does!
I will be starting mine soon, hopefully this weekend!

Andrew

Thanks
I just looked at the enlarged pics, and realized I should have cleaned it a little before I took the pics for the post.
-B-

Nice -B-.

(Someone should count how many of these have been made since SWBHART infected everyone with Rockeritus.)

beautiful - try to run it on lung power. I bet it will run.
:)

Welcome to the rocker club KK...it looks great! Give it a try on lung power, it should work...till the lungs give out anyway :big:

Bill

Nice one!
Mine will run on lung power too. Give it a puff and see how she runs.
We NEED to see the vid!
Something else that works for tiny engines is canned air, like Dust Off.

Nice. I like the steel flywheel.

Chuck

Thanks everyone
I tried lung power and got it to spin a few times but it dosent have a great piston seal. (I am working on a new piston)
I used stainless for the flywheel and shaft (didnt have any brass that size)
I found an online site that has metal properties, so I used it to find out how thick to make the stainless to be the same weight as the brass, and also 3 holes instead of six.
With as simple as this engine is I was sure the flywheel weight was important.
-B-
here is the link http://www.principalmetals.com/Properties/step1.asp
for some reason the site is down, I hope it comes back.

By the way I blame Zee for my rockeritus, from following his build. ☺

Good one -B- Thm:

Built 2 of the little rockers myself; the second one I just gave a thin light aluminium flywheel, and it runs a lot better than the original one with the thicker heavier brass flywheel....

Regards, Arnold

Krown Kustoms said:
By the way I blame Zee for my rockeritus, from following his build.

As much as I'd like to take credit for this...I must push this further up the hill to SWBHART.

Nice try. ;D

Zee....Zee....Zee not only can you push up hill, you can scratch.gif pass the buck too Thm: :big:

Rof} Rof} Rof}

Philly

Arnold
I will have to try an aluminum flywhel.
I made two of the stainless ones, one for my other build, I liked how the brushed/polished two tone looked.
An AL flywheel might take less air.
-B-

-B- may be a bit OT here, but... this post got my gray matter stirring....

The worst enemy of the rocker is friction...
Most friction, as far as I can see, is in the main bearing.
The lighter the flywheel is, the less friction one would have on the main bearing.
The flywheel (on this engine) is needed just to keep rotational velocity going, so it only needs weight at the periphery.
With less mass to have to turn on each piston stroke, less air pressure would be needed.

So, a light flywheel with most of it's weight on the periphery (lots of holes / thin spokes in the web) would work best - Ali seems a logical choice.

As a bonus, a two-tone finish on aluminium is easy ;D

Apologies for the OT, and most likely somebody would blow a hole right through the theory :noidea:

Once again, you built a nice little rocker -B- :D

Oh ok
thanks for the info (I had to look up periphery) that makes scense.
I have an idea for another.
-B-

PhillyVa said:
Zee....Zee....Zee not only can you push up hill, you canpass the buck too
Philly

Sorry -B- I can't let this go unanswered...

If it's my buck...I'm keeping it...if it's someone else's buck...I pass it on...I don't know where it's been. :big:

-B-..."an idea for another" eh...looks like 'Rockeritus' is still plaguing you. ;D

Zee,
I blamed you for this one because you were the carrier. ;)
I know it goes further back, but you don't blame the source of the flu just the person you got it from. ;D
And yes I keep looking at it sitting idle on my computer desk and cant help but think how a half size one would keep it company.
Maybe it will pass but I think I am still infected.
-B-

Good point -B-. I do the same. ;D

Half-size eh? Go for it! Wow. 1/32 hole in the piston and the 2-56 would be...darn...I haven't counted that low yet. :big:

Deanofid said:
Nice one!
Mine will run on lung power too. Give it a puff and see how she runs.
We NEED to see the vid!
Something else that works for tiny engines is canned air, like Dust Off.

Ooooh! That's a great idea. I have two refillable air duster cans just sitting here awaiting a mission!

Just how big (or little?) is this thing?

*edit* Nevermind. Just found the plans.

Latest posts

Back