Another Clock Related tool

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was planning on making a boring bar tool holder the other night and then making myself a die holder for the lathe but discovered my 1/2 inch square stock had gone missing so I couldn't.

Last night I still wanted to make something that would need my new rotary table so I settled on the ferrule for holding the arbor on clock pivots, this is used to rotate the arbors to allow you to repair the pivots.

Basically you clamp this ferrule on the arbour, put on end in a hollow center and the other end in a Jocot tool (I haven't made this yet).
You then get a length of cane and some fishing line and make a bow (like a bow and arrow except you have slack on the fishing line). This is then run around the ferrule which allows you to rotate the arbor by hand to repair the pivot.
I hope that made sense.
Anyhow here are the photos.

Machined to size on the lathe and then shifted to the milling machine.
I didn't use the dividing head, just relied on the degree readout on the rotary table.

Spotting the holes with the centre drill.
ferrule1.jpg

Drilling for tapping.
ferrule2.jpg

Tapping.
ferrule3.jpg

Finished but the screws shown aren't the correct ones. I haven't ordered them yet as I wasn't planning on making this part for a while.
ferrule4.jpg

Latest posts

Back