Another Chuck Fellows engine as built by Brian rupnow

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Rupnow

Design Engineer
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
So---We have a runner. I can not get any 0-80 socket head capscrews in Barrie, and my "Nut and Bolt store" doesn't seem to be able to order them except in quantities of 50 (at an outrageous price). If anybody out there would like to take pity on me and send me one #0-80 socket head cup point set screw x 1/8" long, and one #0-80 socket head capscrew x 1/8" or 1/4" long, you would have my everlasting gratitude. See the link to my website for my mailing address. This morning I got up and decided to make a solid cam and see if I could get the engine to run as a conventional engine, and it runs very well as the video shows.---Brian

Great job on the engine, Brian. Fast too!!!

I can't help you with the sets screw or socket head cap screw, but I do have some slotted binding head #0-80 X 3/8" screws that I would be happy to send you if you could use them.

I can't imagine a 0-80 socket head set screw. Do you even have an allen wrench that would fit it?

Brian,

Congratulations on yet another speed record breaking model. Great sound. Looking forward to the hit and miss version. :bow: :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Geez, I barely get enough energy to look at my lathe/mill and you already have another engine running :big:

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Great job (again) !!

Mike

I've got some 0-80s here, you can have 'em if they'll help ya. Thread length is .180", .237" OAL.
080s004.jpg

vlmarshall--one of those would be just great, thanks.---Now if I can just get somebody to volunteer me one #0-80 set screw, I'm in business.---Brian

Ok, sent them. Wife's on her way out anyway, so she's mailing them now.

-Vernon

Ha, no problem, man. I sent all 5 on a strip of tape, and would have sent the 0-80 tap too, if I could have prevented it from breaking without trying to fit an endmill tube in an envelope.

Don't Karma me, I was gonna wrap the screws in Duct tape, but my wife stopped me. Rof} :big:

Brian...I don't mean to hijack...but you could've gotten some Guinness out of Vernon.
That's right Vernon...I'm watching. :big:

Aw, maaaannnnnnnn!
Quit following me! Go make some chips! ;D

Thanks Rick---I have a question for you. I have updated the drawings as I built the engine, and now I would like to go in and delete the download I have posted in the "downloads" section and replace it with a more "current" download with the corrected drawings. How do I do that?? Brian

Brian Rupnow said:
Thanks Rick---I have a question for you. I have updated the drawings as I built the engine, and now I would like to go in and delete the download I have posted in the "downloads" section and replace it with a more "current" download with the corrected drawings. How do I do that?? Brian

You can't do that but I can.
I have deleted the original upload.
Before deleting it I did make a back up of the file so it can
reinstated if you wish.

Rick

Well boys---Here ya go!!! Its running in hit and miss mode. After 2 hours of messing about with tiny, tiny, tiny #0-80 socket head capscrews and adjusting the timing, it runs. This video was made in the first 5 minutes of operation, so its a bit choppy. Its been setting on the corner of my desk running now for half an hour, and its getting much smoother. I am happy as a pig in mud!!!

I may have shot myself in the foot a little by making the flywheels from steel. My theory was that if the flywheels were uber heavy, they would let the engine "coast" longer between firing cycles. What I overlooked was the fact that since they are so heavy, it takes considerably more kinetic energy to overcome their "resting inertia", so the engine has to fire 5 or 6 times to get the engine spinning fast enough to actuate the governors. If the flywheels had been made of aluminum, which is 1/3 the weight of steel, the firing profile would probably have been quite different. When I get back from the Canadian Rod Tour, I am going to build a small scale varying load machine to demonstrate how applied load affects the hit and miss cycle as the engine runs.

Brian,

This is probably a dumb question, but do you have the air pressure to the engine cranked up as high as it will go?

Chuck

Latest posts

Back