Anodizing Aluminum

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metal Butcher

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
In my recent post "A Tapping Question" a new HMEM member (Toolsrul) posted a picture of some small neat looking tap handles he makes in reply #27. They are very nicely anodized with bright colors. The possibility of using this process to preserve small aluminum parts of my projects intrigued me. based on his reply post I did a little limited research on the subject. After reading some basic how to info on the site below the idea of using this process seems to be a real possibility. It sounds almost to simple to believe. ???

http://www.thirdgen.org/anodizealuminum

Has any one on the forum used this process?
This might something well worth trying.

-MD

Thanks Bernd. Any information is helpful and greatly appreciated!

Based on what I read so far in the link, I have everything that's mentioned except the dye.

All that's needed now is a little more supportive information, and a little ambition to spend the time needed to experiment with some machined scrap aluminum pieces.

-MB

I use the Caswell LCD method to anodise 10-20 parts per week & I'm currently enjoying GREAT results.

A simple battery charger / cheap PS set up may work well for occasional one off's after a bit of experimenting but investing in a constant current PS, agitation & something to keep the acids temp constant at 20deg C (68f) & you can look forward to consistent & professional results.

The only failures I have sufferred using the LCD method have been down to too low a temp (+/- 2 deg makes big a differance) & losing the connection during the process by using alu wire instead of titanium.

Give it a go, if you can assemble the kit cheaply enough you have nothing to lose.

Back