American Precison Museum in Vermont -anyone been ?

Discussion in 'The Break Room' started by David Morrow, Mar 12, 2019.

Help Support HMEM by donating:

1. Mar 12, 2019 #1

David Morrow

David Morrow

David Morrow

I'm taking another motorcycle trip eastbound this summer and plan to pass through Vermont. A quick google and I found the American Precision Museum (APM). A little more googling for images showed that this appears to be well worth a detour from my route.

https://www.americanprecision.org/

Has anyone been to the APM and is it worth the detour ?

Any other museums like that that might be worth a trip ? I'm an IronButt rider so a few hundred miles this way or that makes the ride just that much more fun.

2. Mar 13, 2019 #2

Sprocket

Sprocket

Sprocket

What detour? it's right off Rt 91, and while not a huge museum, it has some really cool stuff. There is a model engineering show there each year, usually in the fall, but last year they changed it.
    That whole area was a hotbed of machinery and manufacturing back a while. Jones and Lamson, Fellows gear shaper, more I can't think of right now. Don't know where you're coming from, but I think it would be worth the trip.( As a Vermonter, I may have a slight bias.)

3. Mar 13, 2019 #3

David Morrow

David Morrow

David Morrow

I'm heading home to Vancouver from Newfoundland & Labrador. I was planning a route west towards Burlington from Bar Harbor. I avoid interstates at all cost so no to I-91 thanks. I've ridden Vermont many times so if you have any other suggestions, I'm all ears.

4. Mar 13, 2019 #4

Sprocket

Sprocket

Sprocket

As with many highways, 91 parallels old Rt 5, and APM is on Rt 5, which is also Main St. in Windsor, VT. Rt 2 parallels 89 from White River Junction to Burlington. Other interesting things in Windsor are the Harpoon Brewery and Simon Pierce Glass. Depending what interests you . A little north of White River is King Arthur Flour in Norwich. I think VT has the most microbreweries per capita of any state, including Hill Farmstead in Greensboro (?)
    Which has had awards as the worlds best beer. It’s a fine state we’re in!

5. Mar 13, 2019 #5

RonGinger

RonGinger

RonGinger

Retired
    I have been there many times for the model engineering show. Except years that they fool with the date, like last year moving to August, and a few years back they changed to Columbus Day weekend, when all the hotel rates double for the leaf peepers.

Its a nice museum with a number of important historical items- how about Bridgeport serial number 1? They have arranged a number of machines into a working area and actually demo them. If you are lucky you can get one of the brass gears made on a Fellows shaper. You might also try a conversation with the director and see if you can talk your want into a back room tour. They always do that for the ME show, and they have a LOT of interesting machines and bits stored away.