American Precison Museum in Vermont -anyone been ?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Morrow

Reaction score
I'm taking another motorcycle trip eastbound this summer and plan to pass through Vermont. A quick google and I found the American Precision Museum (APM). A little more googling for images showed that this appears to be well worth a detour from my route.

https://www.americanprecision.org/

Has anyone been to the APM and is it worth the detour ?

Any other museums like that that might be worth a trip ? I'm an IronButt rider so a few hundred miles this way or that makes the ride just that much more fun.

What detour? it's right off Rt 91, and while not a huge museum, it has some really cool stuff. There is a model engineering show there each year, usually in the fall, but last year they changed it.
That whole area was a hotbed of machinery and manufacturing back a while. Jones and Lamson, Fellows gear shaper, more I can't think of right now. Don't know where you're coming from, but I think it would be worth the trip.( As a Vermonter, I may have a slight bias.)

I'm heading home to Vancouver from Newfoundland & Labrador. I was planning a route west towards Burlington from Bar Harbor. I avoid interstates at all cost so no to I-91 thanks. I've ridden Vermont many times so if you have any other suggestions, I'm all ears.

As with many highways, 91 parallels old Rt 5, and APM is on Rt 5, which is also Main St. in Windsor, VT. Rt 2 parallels 89 from White River Junction to Burlington. Other interesting things in Windsor are the Harpoon Brewery and Simon Pierce Glass. Depending what interests you . A little north of White River is King Arthur Flour in Norwich. I think VT has the most microbreweries per capita of any state, including Hill Farmstead in Greensboro (?)
Which has had awards as the worlds best beer. It’s a fine state we’re in!

I have been there many times for the model engineering show. Except years that they fool with the date, like last year moving to August, and a few years back they changed to Columbus Day weekend, when all the hotel rates double for the leaf peepers.

Its a nice museum with a number of important historical items- how about Bridgeport serial number 1? They have arranged a number of machines into a working area and actually demo them. If you are lucky you can get one of the brass gears made on a Fellows shaper. You might also try a conversation with the director and see if you can talk your want into a back room tour. They always do that for the ME show, and they have a LOT of interesting machines and bits stored away.

Latest posts

Back