Aluminum Cylinder

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Powder keg

Reaction score
I'm thinking of using aluminum for the cylinder on one of my stirling engines. The piston will be graphite. I think the main reason for doing this is to see how well it works, or doesn't?

Any thoughts on this? I know its a no-no to use aluminum for a cylinder, but has anyone had a bad experience doing it? Who knows it might work fine for this application?

Wes

Jerry Howell's Ringbom Stirling calls for an aluminum cylinder with a graphite piston. My version of the engine runs nicely with that combination.

I don't think material for the power cylinder is that much of a concern. I've used steel/aluminum and brass/steel for the cylinder/piston on two other Stirlings and they both run fine. Piston fit is far more important than material, IMO, so long as the materials are different. On the displacer cylinder, material type and thickness *is* a consideration, however.

Aluminum conducts heat really really well. Make sure that heat is going where you want it to with a Stirling, because that's all they have to work with.

Best,

BW

I won a bet recently when a guy claimed that it was impossible for aluminum to be harder and stronger than steel. He simply didn't believe it until I showed him the engineering numbers for 7075-T6, which is both stronger AND harder than some mild steels. My point is that aluminum can be used as a substitute for steel in some circumstances, and for a model engine which will not see hard running, it can be used for any number of components which might traditionally be steel, CI, or a copper alloy.

As Bob mentioned, aluminum's other characteristics need to be understood, but in general it is a super-versatile metal that can do just about anything! I think you'll be fine so long as you take its ability to transfer heat (and its expansiveness) into account

I am new at building with metal and these posts teach me something everyday. I am building one of Jerry Howell Stirling engines "The Vickie". Mr Howell is opposed to using aluminum for the power cylinder. On his web site he has tips for Stirling engines. He does talk about graphite for a piston. I plan to build my engine based on his recommendations, however I plan to keep this information on this post handy. Lots of my plans call for using aluminum. Most of the metal I have collected is the junkyard "mystery metal" and its hard to know exactly what you have. Best of luck.

Rick
http://www.jerry-howell.com/Pistons.html

I think, they are a lot of aluminum cylinder that have been selling. So, you don't have to look it for.

Latest posts

Back