Alterations to a BV20 Lathe.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rareone

Reaction score
Hi fellas. this is my first post so I hope I am in the right part. Firstly, let me say thanks to you all for a great web site and for allowing me to become a part of it. I will in the near future up date my personal folio so then at least you can find out a bit about me. My reason for this post is to ask, if anybody can tell me if it is possible to install change gears on the BV20 Lathe? I read a recent post that had a photo and discussion relating to a BV20 Lathe that had two(2) change gears fitted to the front of the Headstock. If I could source the change gears and levers maybe I could install them to my lathe. As it is If I want to change speed I have to get a spanner and change the drive gears. (Pain) Any information would be appreciated. Thanks

Thank you n4zou and omnimill for your response. My lathe BV20 has never had any change gears. Maybe when the lathes were sold here in Australia they were manufactured without the change gears. As I said " I only recently saw that the BV20 was available with these gears fitted." My lathe is just blank on the panel where the levers are positioned. If I could source the gears and levers I am sure that it would not be a major job to fit them.

Hey omnimill just had a look at your links and would like to let you know that the photo of the lathe is the same as mine only mine is painted Green. The manual shows the same lathe. The only difference is my lathe has a maximum length of workpiece of 550mm. There is a shorter version of the BV20 that only takes a 400mm workpiece. Thank you for the links. Graham.

In that case I'm guessing some models of the BV20 use a variable speed motor instead? Strange as it's a nice little Lathe as it was.

Thank you n4zou and omnimill for your response. My lathe BV20 has never had any change gears. Maybe when the lathes were sold here in Australia they were manufactured without the change gears. As I said " I only recently saw that the BV20 was available with these gears fitted." My lathe is just blank on the panel where the levers are positioned. If I could source the gears and levers I am sure that it would not be a major job to fit them.

Hi Rareone

The BV20 Lathe comes in several models With a Six Speed Gearbox or a Six Speed belt drive.

Which model do you have.

Would you please point us to the Forum you mention in your original posting

Eric

Last edited:

Rareone,
Can you contact me by PM - I may be able to help.

Simon

Hello Eric. My lathe is the 6 speed belt drive. Would like to convert it to a change gear to give an easy selection for the chuck speed. I am not worried about the lead screw speed as that can be changed by the drive gears. I cannot remember where I saw the original setup but Omnimill has forwarded a link to the Manual for a gear change BV20M. Graham

The variable speed motor might be the easiest way to go, but then I wonder what happens to the torque of the motor.

The variable speed motor might be the easiest way to go, but then I wonder what happens to the torque of the motor.

Hi Rareone

This is probably the best option as the spindle is unlikely to be machined to fit gears.

My preference is for 180 volt DC motor and 230 volt AC to DC Convertor and Speed control.

The DC advantage is that the Torque does not fall sharply as the speed decreases.

My own setup is BV25BL lathe with six speed gearbox and DC motor and Control a very similar lathe to yours.

Normaly I select the gear for the diameter and approximate surface speed required

and then fine tune the speed with the control.

Being a DC motor fanatic my views are very biased with a lathe, milling machine on DC With power feeds on DC,

Also two drill presses. Have a peek at my postings on HMEM

Eric

Thanks for all of the feedback fellers. I think I will go with and research more info on what Eric has said. I will see what is available in Australia. Thanks to you all . Graham

Thanks for all of the responses fellas. I am going to research the possibility of using a DC motor and electronic speed variation.

We also have a BV 20, belt drive but one with the tiny milling machine attached which we took off.

Did you come up with a solution to the speed control? I'd also like to install a QCTP & 4jaw chuck. have you done those modifications?

Hello all. I have recently acquired a Bengbu BV-20 lathe. Unfortunately the guy who gave it did not have any manual to give me. I tried the provided link in the forum but it seems the file does not exist any more. Anyone who has the manual and is willing to share it? I need to check how to read how change speed of revolution.
Thanks in advance.

Hi Glados116. I can email you the manual if you like. It is not much of a read but better than nothing. Try this, :- Just type into your browser "BV 20 Owners Manual" search and then go through the sites. Let me know how you go. Hope this helps. Graham

The link provided is for a Warco lathe. Mine is a Chinese model:
BV-20 Bengbu Machine Tool Co.
Also the photo of BV20-1 is not quite like mine. The reason I am looking for a manual is that I have no idea how to regulate lathe speed. I don't even know the revolving speed. The BV20-1 shows some levers above the start-stop buttons, which are not present in my lathe.

Hi Glados116. I can email you the manual if you like. It is not much of a read but better than nothing. Try this, :- Just type into your browser "BV 20 Owners Manual" search and then go through the sites. Let me know how you go. Hope this helps. Graham

Yes please if the manual is for the BV20 chinese lathe. My email is [email protected].

Latest posts

Back