Air Car

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAM in LA

Reaction score
There is a news story on FOX featuring Pat Boone hyping an "Air Car"

The engine is powered by compressed air. Designed in France and manufactured by TaTa cars, I believe an Indian company.

60 mile range on one tank of compressed air.

So, are any of you involved?

A good majority of engines featured in this forum are air powered.

SAM

Have heard of this but never seen it - but not my sort of transport.

But I have a kind of related question - as it involves compressed air power, but used in a steam engine style. Can anyone tell me how much air at what pressure could drive a 1HP electrical generator using 'steam engine' technology, just like we do when running our models on air. I assume it is a bit more efficient than steam, as there is no condensation, and no heat loss. I guess you can use cut-off in the same way to work it expansively, but I am a bit of a duffer when it comes to the calculations.

Steve

Here's an example:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVIwropRMME&feature=fvw[/ame]

Rick

There is one fundamental flaw in claiming the compressed air cars
create zero emissions. Where does the electricity come from that powers
the compressors to fill the tanks?

Maybe it is just another stupid idea.
I the late 1800's many people believed a death wish would be required
to ride on an engine driven wagon that carried 1/2 gallon of gasoline
on board. It was a bomb on wheels.
Who would have guessed that idea would catch on?
;)

Rick

Rick
It was also commonly accepted in the early 1800's that a man would die from lack of oxygen at any speed over 13 miles an hour.....he simply wouldn't be able to achieve respiration....(grin)

Steve

Another idea coming around again. Back in the day there were compressed air powered locomotives used in the mines. They were known as "thermos bottles" and with no fire, did not smoke the place out. Tommy Tompkins up in Anacortes, WA had one that he had converted back with a conventional boiler that he used to pull a tourist train with, think it was about 18" gage.

Brian

I think these cars (at least the early prototypes) have 2 carbon fibre tanks that are filled to 350Bar. They are quite safe due to the interlaced fibre construction so even if they would crack they hold on together letting the air go without exploding.

Latest posts

Back