A3

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1hand

Reaction score
Hello folks;

As if I didn't have enough irons in the fire, I figure I would add one more. Since I started doing the CNC conversions on the Mill and Lathe last winter, my 14 old son has kinda taken an interest in what I'm doing down there in the basement shop. Every time I run into a glitch with the computer, I would have to have him come down and help me figure it out. He is into sports and video games like most kids that age, but when I was working on the Mill steppers I asked him if I would like to learn how to solder wires and connections for the project, he said he would try. Not knowing much about that myself and the extra "hands" in my case, I was excited. So after he done the research on the net I let him at it. He done a great job. Now he is in the shop checking stuff out all the time. Couple nights ago we where ready to make the first "CNC" cut piece, so I let him set it up and hit the go button.

Any how............We where both smiling ear to ear.

I ask him If he like to start a project with me and this is what we came up with for our first attempt at Father/Son project.
001-28.jpg

Received the book today and did a quick look through, and seems to be very straight forward, but a very complex. Should make for a interesting build.

Matt

Matt,

It's always nice when a member of the family starts to take an interest, you will end up with a new 'friend' as well as a son.

The project isn't complex at all, just a load of one or a few off jobs. Just think of it as a collection of single parts, and make one good piece at a time. When it is all assembled is when you can call it complex.

John

Bogstandard said:
The project isn't complex at all, just a load of one or a few off jobs. Just think of it as a collection of single parts, and make one good piece at a time. When it is all assembled is when you can call it complex.

John

Excellent advice John which could be applied to many venture in life!

Matt, I Googled the A3 and that looks to be something I might like to try and build. It looks about right for complexity and size. Kudos to your son for picking that one.

I wonder if Zee has seen it. Where is that rascal anyway?

-Trout

1hand said:
Received the book today and did a quick look through, and seems to be very straight forward, but a very complex. Should make for a interesting build.

I remember a few years ago standing in the job trailer over a stack of prints about 2 inches thick. An apprentice looked at the stack and said "Man!, how are we ever going to get all this stuff done?". One old timer piped up and said "Same way you eat an elephant kid, one bite at a time".

Break any big job down, it's just a bunch of small jobs. Take it one page at a time and one piece at a time and i'm sure the project will get easier and easier.

Great Choice as it was intended as a starting point for the budding Model Engineer. Through the whole article were tutorials on various processes involved in the construction. His Tutorial on Silver Soldering boilers as part of the series was fabulous!

Read up! Make a decision...proceed......don't worry about how far the back of the book is from you....just focus on the next page.

And where is Zee anyhooo..?

Dave

Hi Matt I'm glad you are starting the A3. I started the A3 last year. I'm new to metal working.I bought a lathe last year and am going to use the A3 book as a machine course. Had some medical problems this spring am better now. I just received my mill and an getting back into the A3.My wheels are done and the bearing blocks are ready to be milled. I'll be following your build. Have a good day. Ed

I'm wondering if my mini lathe (7x10) and mini mill would be large enough for this. Is this an excuse to get a larger lathe?

Troutsqueezer said:
I'm wondering if my mini lathe (7x10) and mini mill would be large enough for this. Is this an excuse to get a larger lathe?

Do you really need one. ???...........................................I mean excuse of course. ::)

Best Regards
Bob

One Hand---I wondered what had become of you. Last year you were building something I had designed (Don't remember what) and then you dissapeared.----Brian

Brian Rupnow said:
One Hand---I wondered what had become of you. Last year you were building something I had designed (Don't remember what) and then you dissapeared.----Brian

Hi Brain. I been gone all spring and summer doing road construction. That's right, I did start on your #33 and got as far as the Fly wheel. Start to cut a few of the small parts and decided that at that scale is a bit smaller than I care to work with. Still may pick it back up again and scale it up a bit. I really like the style of the Mill engines.

I'm going to work on a material shopping list this weekend for the A3, so I can get an order in on Monday. Still sitting here trying to decide on what scale we want to go with it. The book is geared towards 3/4" scale and 3 1/2" gauge. There is also engineering adjustments to build it in 1 1/2" scale 7 1/2" gauge.

1 1/2" scale would be pushing the limits of my 9x19 lathe and SX3 mill. I think it can be done though. There is a couple of 7 1/2" rail clubs with in a couple hour drive of where we live. The 3/4" scale would be lots easier to move and display for collecting.

A few stats for the A3 in 3/4" scale
Driving wheel diameter 3 1/4"
Overall length 37 3/8"
Overall width 6 7/8"
Overall height 9 15/16"
Cylinder bore 7/8"
Piston stroke 1 1/4"
Valve gear Walshaerts type
Boiler
Material Copper
Tubes .787"ODx .047"thick x 3 tubes
Firebox 2 1/4" wide x 3 3/8" long
Operating weight:
Engine 40lbs
Tender 22lbs

:)Matt

Here I found a couple video's on the A3 in 3/4" scale to give you all an idea of the size and real steam!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ton2bMbqAdg[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQE2SoziFPs[/ame]

:eek:Matt

Dad blast you Trout...and you too Matt!
That is a fantastic project and I will be thinking about it...a lot!
I was wondering where you went off to Matt. Glad you're back.
I will be watching this with very great interest.

Dave...I'm not gone...just haven't had much time. And my shop is temporarily inaccessible. 'my shop'...I like that...just starting to get used to the idea.

Maryak said:
Do you really need one. ???...........................................I mean excuse of course. ::)

Best Regards
Bob

I don't need an excuse personally but someone around here, I won't say who it is but her initials are 'Sally', does... *knuppel2* For years, she's wanted me to make a live steam locomotive to run around her gardens. I always told her it was out of my league since back then I knew absolutely nothing about machining but now that I know next to nothing maybe it's in the cards...hmmm....what's a new JET 9 x 20 cost?

I have always admired Kozo's books.May have to get a copy of that one myself or maybe a shay. There is a shay at Kinzer 12 in to the foot scale. I realty do need to get myself motivated and organized though before starting a long term project. O probably have about six small engines started in various stages. And get comfortable with the cnc Machines and finish them.
Looks like a great father son project both the CNC an d the A3
And welcome back for the season.
Tin

Starting to put a pencil to a material list and this is going to be a long term project. Brass isn't a cheap material these days. Though I could build most from steel cause 80% of it will be painted anyway. I figure if you where to build all 5 of Kozo's locomotives from brass and copper, would probably cost you $6000 or more in materials. Then again you spread that out over the next 30 years that it will take me to build all 5, that's only $200 a year. ::)

Just like me to always find a way to justify a purchase for the shop! ;D

Matt

I figured just for the Tender through Speedy Metals and Online Metals. With what you can save on different pieces between the 2 places can justify the 2 shipping costs. I'm at about $500 before the copper for the Tender. I think you could do it in steel for around a $100.

Matt

Took the plunge.......... just place the first material order. All steel except for the Bronze bearings. I just couldn't see spending 4 times more for brass which parts are going to be painted anyway. Went with the 12L14 where I could to help ease the machining. Forming sheet steel will be tougher than forming copper, but with the price difference I can have 5 or 6 goes at it. Maybe it was the wrong decision, but I think it will turn out alright. ???

Matt

the sheets im getting are 1018 cold rolled

Well, I had most of the day off from work today due to the rain and 50+ mph winds. So I did some more work on the lathe conversion. About 1pm the UPS guy showed up with my Speedy Metals order for the A3.
001-30.jpg

While I was looking it over, I was wondering how the heck I was going to cut the sheet steel when I got to that point. ??? So I did a quick search on the site here and came up with this great idea to turn my horizontal bandsaw into a vertical one. Now with that on the brain I dropped what I was doing on the lathe and started making that.
It turned out great.
005-17.jpg

002-22.jpg

004-20.jpg

Sure wish my lathe was done so I can start carving up the Tender Wheels.
;DMatt

Latest posts

Back