A3

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1hand said:
Never heard of that. Whats involved? Expensive?

Thanks
Matt

Matt, small electroplating kits (brush plating) are resonably inexpensive and can be done in the home shop. there are alot of companies out there, for example http://www.caswellplating.com/.

If not here, may be useful on a future project.
Randy

Thanks a bunch MB, Shred, and cl350 for the valuable info.

Matt

Matt, I don't mean to disagree with your choice. Since I don't know what the parts look like size-wise so it might be just what you need. I tried a shallow pan like that and it would not balance well on the stove burner, and it wasn't deep enough to suspend the parts I wanted to parkerize. I found that a standard 2qt and 4qt fit my needs, and if I ever need a larger pot I would probably get a large pasta cooking pot like "Honey" uses. I think it almost a foot tall. You also need the ability to pour off the solution into a plastic seal able container for storage when the solution cools. A flat low pan might be a bit tricky to handle. Just some things to think about before you commit to a purchase. Mine came from a garage sale, ugly as sin and all beat up, but stainless steel and 50 cents apiece!

-MB

mb I'll use a small pot for most of the parts, but the frame rails are 17" long and some of the cab parts are 7" . They also have deeper pans like I showed. I will be using both magenese and zinc on different parts to have a color contrast. I have a 2 burner camp stove that the 12x20 pan sits prefectly on

1hand said:
mb I'll use a small pot for most of the parts, but the frame rails are 17" long and some of the cab parts are 7" . They also have deeper pans like I showed. I will be using both magenese and zinc on different parts to have a color contrast. I have a 2 burner camp stove that the 12x20 pan sits prefectly on

Sounds real good Matt. I like your idea of using different color treatments for contrast. Another idea would be to paint the larger parts like the cab. The paint could be easily washed off and replaced with another color. You can also paint over the parkerizing to try out different color schemes as it makes a great first step in a painted finish.

Best of luck Matt, I'll be watching with interest as your project progresses.

-MB

Latest posts

Back