A V8 Maybe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes I guess so guys but on a happier note I was pleased with how well the fins lined up with the bolt holes. I drilled from the other side so that the bearing holes were done at the same setting as the bolt holes and it was a relief when I turned it over.
Pete

I don't believe it Pete, there is one part of the plans I gave you that was right:D

Hey Pete, do you use the de-gassing tablets in the melt when you are casting??

The reason I ask is I got some from Foseco here in Perth, did a test pour today and after using this stuff (Nitral C-19) I was able to cast a piece that I proof machined and found the material density was text book style, absolutely no porosity visible at all.

If only I had of know'n this before scrapping the other hundreds or so parts due to porosity. The guy I spoke to gave me all sorts of tips to ensure casting success. They were ultra helpful and intrigued with what us hobby guys get up to in our sheds.

You'r progress is looking great, I am following every step of the way.

Baz.

Sorry Baz
I went with my own bolt pattern after I saw one sheet had the bolts as 4-40 and another as 8-32 :shrug:
The Blower plans are suspect as well although better then the rest.
Im scared stiff wondering what other little surprises are waiting for me :hDe:
I use no additives at all in my melts but I do not stir the metal and pour as soon as its all melted to avoid hydrogen porosity due to over heating, for the same reason I never turn on the furnace until after ive made up my molds.
I make sure I get all the dross out and pour the first bit into a muffin tin in case any rubbish is in the first metal to pour, I just use that muffin in the next melt.
Pete

Thanks Andy
All this rain is driving me crazy, yesterday It was raining so much the mill just tripped out the circut breakers everytime I tried to use it :wall:
It was fine today and I guess, Im just about back on track now with the end plates, will do the gear cavity tomorrow.
Pete
DSCN0506_zps363b9087.jpg

All this rain is driving me crazy, yesterday It was raining so much the mill just tripped out the circut breakers everytime I tried to use it :wall:

If the rain is tripping the circuit breakers then I would be investigating that pronto!! It might not be a problem now but down the track you may be in for much bigger problems, like a 'live' shed for example.

This is not something you want to take a chance on. How would you feel if your shed burnt down? It wouldn't be the first time a fire was started because of an electrical fault such as this.

Thanks fabio
Ive been a bit crook for a few days but today I started playing with the pattern for the Ram, I guess this is as good a time as any to learn how to make cores.
Pete
DSCN0509_zps118c33e2.jpg

Hi Guys
The plan so far with the Ram is.
I have turned the top 1/2 inch of the Velosity stacks down and matching holes will be bored in the bottom rectangular base of the Ram and grub screws will hold the stacks to the Ram scoop.
The base of the scoop is about .250 deep and can just be seen sitting on the blower base, once Ive cast it up i'll put up a better pic.
Pete
DSCN0510_zps331249ba.jpg

Looking real good Pete, you sure have a great way with metal. Glad to be watching your build.

Thanks Danny
Its nice to know there is interest in the build :cool:
I went shopping today for core materials but was unable to get any Molasses, I reasoned any source of sugar would do and so will try Treacle, of course no cake would be much good without flour(plane) so I got some of that as well.
Any Input on sand core recipes would be very helpful guys.
Pete

DSCN0511_zps9acef2e6.jpg

Is it a coincidence the engine is starting to look like Wall-E? ;) On a more serious note, this is way beyond my skills but i'm still loving this thread!

cheers, Ian

Hello Pete,
Have you seen the you tube videos by myfordboy he does some great videos on casting also various ways of making cores using house hold ingredients and co2.

Cheers Gaz

Hi Ian
Now that you mention it she does look a little extreme at the moment but I think once the Ram is cast its look will be a lot different.
Her "Eyes" are to make a negative locating space in the mold for the core and will vanish once cast.
Hi Gaz
Yes Myfordboy is a legend and im slowly working my way though his Videos :cool:
Pete

Thanks Danny
Its nice to know there is interest in the build :cool:
I went shopping today for core materials but was unable to get any Molasses, I reasoned any source of sugar would do and so will try Treacle, of course no cake would be much good without flour(plane) so I got some of that as well.
Any Input on sand core recipes would be very helpful guys.
Pete

DSCN0511_zps9acef2e6.jpg
Man this looks awsome you should put a picture of Don Prudhome beside it

I'm not sure what "the Snake"would make of it buddy, If I achieve 10 mousepower I will be ecstatic :cool:
I had a bit of a bash at core making today but after gluing on the front cores and drilling a small hole though the guts for steam release I realized its not cooked inside so Ive put it back in the oven for an hour on 100 degrees.
If all goes well I might do a pour tomorrow.
Pete
DSCN0512_zpsf293c5da.jpg

I like it! - one of these days I'm going to have to learn this art...

Hi dclark
glad you like it Mate :cool:
Give it a go, casting up your own engine blocks gives you lots of options.
I poured the Ram today and I think it will clean up real nice, the Tappet cover pattern would not release from the mold and was not poured.
I'm pretty happy with how it came out and am wondering now why I was so worried about cores in the first place.
would have saved myself heaps of work on the block and blower.
DSCN0513_zps70ae5930.jpg

DSCN0514_zpscac1d0f9.jpg

DSCN0517_zps94a54183.jpg

Back