A Tailstock Camlock for the Lathemaster 9x30

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobWarfield

Reaction score
Here's an easy project that makes the tailstock nicer to use: no more scratching around for a wrench:

P1010375.JPG

More details on my web site:

http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCLatheTailLock.htm

Cheers,

BW

Hey Bob... That's a nice cam lock. I was just using my lathe thinking about making a cam lock. Nice job, I think I will be using that as a great guide for mine.

Eric

Very easy to do. Be sure to read the section at the bottom of the build on things I would do differently the second time around!

Cheers,

BW

Ou! Did I see chatter marks in the cam lock section picture. :eek: (me running and ducking as Bob throws tools)

Just kidding Bob. ;D

Nice job on the cam lock. Need to make one for the Grizzly 4000 I have. Will follow your write up on how to.

Bernd

Bernd said:
Ou! Did I see chatter marks in the cam lock section picture. :eek: (me running and ducking as Bob throws tools)

Just kidding Bob. ;D

Nice job on the cam lock. Need to make one for the Grizzly 4000 I have. Will follow your write up on how to.

Bernd

Yeah, in the snap ring groove. It was hanging too far out without support because I had the blinkin tailstock in pieces and was too lazy to reassemble it. The right answer is you don't need it at all as I discovered. It probably could've used a little stoning on the parting blade too.

There's also a dent in the piston cross bore barely visible from chucking it in the Kurt vise with a V-block. 12L14 is pretty soft and needs a little protection!

Cheers,

BW

SmoggyTurnip said:
Why didn't you use your cutoff holder with the insert?

Much too wide for a snap ring. I did use the Aloris to part off a couple of pieces for the project.

BTW, I subsequently borrowed a tip from someone here (sorry, forgot who) and ground a quick little bit of positive rake onto the end of the blade. Made a world of difference.

Cheers!

BW

Nice project and pictoral, Bob.
When I figure out how my 8X14 works, this is on the list of things to change.

Bowie, I bet you'll love that 8x. These emco clones are bargains!

BW

I made one for my 8x14 not near as much room to work with.

image.jpg

Lever shaft was some scrap....well it all was really. None of the stock pieces were modified other than drilling a couple holes in the tail stock

image.jpg

Back