A new shop being born!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, got a little more time with the table saw this evening.

Ready to lay the press board for the drawer shelf.

shoppics_9_13.jpg

shoppics_9_18.jpg

Delay mounting the press board. I did not see this one coming. The drill will not fit in the space I have left and the support ribs have all been screwed and glued.

I have to use a stronger glue and more of it.

shoppics_9_19.jpg

Clamps were applied and four bars used to spread the force around the rim where I cannot get the screws. I used the stronger pancake syrup looking urethane glue around the rims of the press board.

Kermit

Yes, yes it would Bernd!

How quick can you mail it to me? ;D

Funny thing was I had been looking at some catalogs just a few days ago and stopped to linger over the right angle drill attachments. An ominous Omen! :eek:

What will get screwed up next?, Tune in tomorrow and see,
Kermit

Looking Great Kermit!

That will do just fine!

Dave

Looks like it's coming along great Kermit!
You noticed in another thread that my own machine benches are
very similar. When I move my shop to the garage next summer I do
plan to make an addition to the mill bench. The hot chips have left
their mark on the exposed wood top. Worse than that, a magnetic
indicator base just doesn't stick to it. :D
I don't have DRO's so I use indicators for all axis.
When I move the bench I will be attaching a 1/8" thick steel plate
to the top to resolve both of those issues.

Rick

I wasn't happy with my choices of plywood bottoms for a drawer. To hold any amount of weight I'd need some Heavy wood. I opted for a braced box for the drawer bottom. Lighter than my other choices by about 10 pounds overall. It also spreads the load better than a single thicker piece could.
shoppictures_9_1.jpg

shoppictures_9_4.jpg

shoppictures_9_7.jpg

My wife helped me remember that it would be Much easier to prime and sand without all four sides. ;) That's why I love her so.

shoppictures_9_8.jpg

Now for drawer number two,
Kermit

Man, you don't mess around! That's some heavy duty workbench. Ought to last a couple of lifetimes.

It's a Texan thing.

;)

Truthfully, I plan on leaving it all to my son. If you look at pic two above you'll see his leg and hand in the photo. He's been a big help to an old broken dude with a bad back and need for pain meds.

I seem to be getting carried away with the number of photos devoted to this Non engine project. Perhaps less time behind the camera and at the keyboard would get the lathe on a "finished" bench. I've got a friend from work scheduled to come by and help me christen her in just two weeks. I'd better get busy then,eh?

:),
Kermit

Kermit,
How many cars are you planning to park on that work bench?

Just the two I own. I charge rent for the rest. ;)
(Ksouers: It will hold the two tons of Lathe I might want to move up to should I prove to be a natural at this) 8) ;D

(Jeez, A third page and no pictures yet.) So I ran into the shop and made the mistake of letting the old lady have the camera. She took pics of ME and not of the interesting stuff I was making... :p

Since I had the pieces for the second drawer already cut, I just had to puzzle it together.

Thusly:

shoppictures_9_9.jpg

shoppictures_9_10.jpg

This is where I took the camera back for my sweet loving spouse. ;D

shoppictures_9_11.jpg

The ribs secured to the underside of what will be the top surface of the drawer bottom. (That description sounds overly complex) :D

shoppictures_9_13.jpg

And the bottom which will have screws showing ready to go on after the glue is dried on the bottom section. You can barely make out the screws in the bottom of the primed drawer below. I've been trying few things to see what works best as a friction reducer and a large thin sheet of PTFE will be glued to the bottoms of the drawers for that purpose. (At least that is what the plan is right now...)

shoppictures_9_14.jpg

Glue in my hair,
Kermit

Drawer No. 2 assembled.

Getting closer one screw at a time.

shoppictures_9_15.jpg

Kermit

wow a electric drill I have not seen one of those in a while. nice work I think when your done you can put that in the living room.

Ready to cut out the opening for the second drawer
Closer still to completion. Some more putty in the corners and a coat or two of primer and I'll be ready to top it off.

shoppics_2_03.jpg

shoppics_2_05.jpg

It's going TOO SLOW,
Kermit

shoppics_3_01.jpg

shoppics_3_02.jpg

I don't have the top planks or the back affixed, just laying there so the pictures look like it is more complete than it is. It's progress.
Waiting on some drawer slides from Rockler.com, so I'll have time to put on lots of wood putty make up and dress her up nice. ;D

Maybe someday I'll get to the metal working part ;)

Kermit

Latest posts

Back